virtuoso-t constantly segfaulting

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 31 07:50:21 GMT 2014

On Friday 31 January 2014 02:21:40 Duncan did opine:

[...]
> > Sorry, no, Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, currently frozen for lack of a newer
> > kernel that is RTAI patchable.
>
> OK.  I know both OpenSuSE and (K)Ubuntu do the year-based release number
> thing, and thought I remembered you being on OpenSuSE, but either my
> memory is bad or you switches somewhere along the line.

Never been on OpenSuSE.

> Either way, presumably the numbers are enough different that people on
> one or the other would know it either was or wasn't the one they were
> on, but to someone using a different distro entirely the number doesn't
> mean a lot without a distro name attached... and even then, other than
> possibly raw age (2010 was awhile ago...), there's no clue as to what
> specific kde version we're talking about.
>
> Which was really my point, it's a kde list so we need the _KDE_ version,
> so I guess I made it better than I thought I did... =:^/

4.4.5, needs a shaving kit, its that old.

> >> On topic... I'm actually not sure as I switched from kmail to
> >> claws-mail some time ago (early 4.7 timeframe, when it became clear
> >> akonadified kmail was going somewhere entirely different than I was
> >> interested in following) here, but...
> >
> > I can't argue with that other than to point out that I too am on the
> > claws list, and its teething problems are stopping me from converting
> > in the middle of the creek.  The maildir format I am using with KDE
> > is also apparently NOT importable between them.
>
> I'm not actually on the claws list.  I've thought about it, but so far
> I've not gotten the appropriately rounded tuit... =:^)

I'll put you (Duncan) on the list to get one if I ever find a really good
pattern to carve them.  I think I have promised at least 20 of them so far.
:)

> Anyway, unfortunately the maildir format isn't /directly/ importable
> into claws-mail's native mh-folders, but there are various methods to
> get around that, including import scripts (tho I had to hack the one I
> used a bit as it was rather dated), using mutt to do the conversion
> since it understands both and /can/ do the conversion, or doing
> something with IMAP (either putting everything on your IMAP server
> temporarily if you have one and a big enough quota, or at least
> temporarily setting up a local IMAP server, such as dovecot, for the
> conversion, after which finishing the conversion may not matter so much
> any more since the IMAP server stores the mail).

I've attempted that too, but it does not seem to want to co-operate.
When you have a smoothly functioning fetchmail/procmail/clamav/spamassassin
setup delivering the incoming mail to /var/spool/mail/user, docs on how to
make dovecot work from that seem to be non-existent.

Am I the only one in or out of captivity that wants to do that?

Then so kmail doesn't have to loop on an independent schedule, I have
another script that uses inotifywait watching the mail spool and the tells
kmail to go get the mail over the dbus circuit. So all kmail has to do is
get it, sort it to the right folder and wait on me.  Instant gratification.

Unforch, I don't think dovecot has a dbus input.  Thats handier than
bottled beer folks.

> I didn't know about the mutt option when I did my conversion, but was
> planning to do the IMAP thing if the scripted conversion didn't work.
> Fortunately for me the scripted coversion worked, even if I had to hack
> it a bit to get it to work, but that does mean I don't have actual
> experience with the other options.
>
> Regardless, I don't like getting stuck in a bind like that, and one way
> or another, it *DO* get off the platform, after which I won't go
> anywhere near it.  That's how I ended up leaving the MS platform as
> well, because with eXPrivacy's remote authorization MS crossed a line
> that I simply wasn't going to cross, and the only way I had to stay on
> the platform was to go illegal, which I wasn't prepared to do either,
> so I really had no choice but to get off it.  Which is why I'm so
> strictly anti-slaveryware to this day, refusing to run even the
> proprietary flash plugins or nVidia drivers that so many run on Linux.
> I've escaped that hell-hole and there's no way I'm going back!

Theres an echo in here.

> Which, to a rather lessor degree since at least it's still freedomware,
> is about how I feel about akonadified kmail at this point.  They put me
> in a bad bind that it was difficult to get myself out of, which only
> guaranteed I *WAS* going to find a way out, which I did, and it's
> "unlikely" I'll ever find myself going back as a result.
>
> OTOH, I could in theory find myself back using MS for at least part of
> my machines if they were to go freedomware (never say never, right?),
> and in another X years, after kmail is long stable, I guess I could in
> theory end up back on kmail, even if it's still on some way future
> version of whatever they're using for a database by then.
>

> Meanwhile, since you're on the claws-mail list, what discussion have you
> seen about gtk2 at some point going deprecated?

Only that its eminent.

> As long as firefox
> still uses gtk2 only, there's little immediate danger of that
> happening, but at some point...  Are they working on a gtk3 port, or
> possibly (as some other formerly gtk2 projects have done instead) a
> switch to qt5?  Or...??

FWIW, my FF 26 is falling apart.

If they switch to qt5, I'll be on it as soon as I can.

> There's three gtk2-based apps I currently depend on, pan for my lists
> (as newsgroups via gmane) and newsgroups, which is already gtk3 ported
> altho the gtk3 version remains more buggy and less used, firefox, which
> I check on the gtk3 porting status from time to time but there's little
> danger of gtk2 going away with firefox still on it, and claws-mail,
> which I really don't know upstream's post-gtk2 plans for, and that
> bothers me, but so far not enough to actually go trying to find a
> claws-mail specific answer for yet.
>
> So if you have that answer handy, please do share! =:^)

Hand me an oar, I'll help row, we're both in that same what if boat.

> >> Assuming restarting kmail does an automated vacuum, the effect would
> >> indeed be the same.
> >>
> >> But I think that's a bad assumption, as akonadi continues to run (at
> >> least it did back when I last used kmail/akonadi) if you're just
> >> restarting kmail.  I'd guess it'd take an akonadi restart at least,
> >> and even then, I'm not sure if that would trigger an automated
> >> vacuum or not.
> >
> > I just tried it and kmail was made nice and snappy again, but now that
> > Konsole is being spammed by everything akonadi does.  Which is a lot
> > of noise to me.
>
> Try this in that konsole (konsole tab?):
>
> Ctrl-z 		# Probably not necessary here since akonadi should
> background, but useful if a started program doesn't give you back the
> shell prompt.  Temporarily stops the foreground app and returns to the
> shell prompt with the app stopped.
>
> bg 		# Restart the app in the background, only if you needed
> to ctrl-Z to get to a prompt.
>
> disown -a	# This lets you quit the shell without quitting apps
> started from it.
>
> exit		# This will normally close that konsole tab (and window
> if that's its only tab) when the shell exits.
>
> Restart a new konsole or open a new tab as desired.  This one shouldn't
> get all that spam. =:^)
>
> Every once in awhile I find myself in the same situation, and the above
> is how I get out of it here.

Thanks.  A ctl+z didn't bother it a bit.  There is probably a service
script in /etc/init.d that I should have used.  Sigh...

> Of course if you have other backgrounded tasks in that shell that you
> don't want to lose... But I normally use a new shell instance (either VT
> login or konsole/konsole-tab) instead of backgrounding a whole bunch of
> stuff, and if you're actually doing that much backgrounding, you should
> probably be using something like screen, allowing you to resume a
> session if the hosting shell disconnects/crashes/whatever.

I'll reboot, its easier, about the time they drag Freddie out to see if he
sees his shadow Saturday morning.  But I heard he packed up & hitched a
ride to FL, got too cold here in WV last week. ;-)

Cheers Duncan, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene
WTB: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.