virtuoso-t constantly segfaulting

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Jan 27 08:44:56 GMT 2014

On Monday, 2014-01-27, 00:19:13, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Sunday 26 January 2014 23:48 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Sunday, 2014-01-26, 23:42:12, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > > The past week or so I get this every 10-20 seconds in/var/log/syslog:
> > >
> > > kernel: [168098.800123] virtuoso-t[13981]: segfault at ffffffff ip
> > > 0851efbb
> > > sp a7143870 error 7 in virtuoso-t[8048000+aa0000]
> > >
> > > I get several hits when searching for it, but no solution to how to
> > > fix it, and it makes the log almost unusable.
> > >
> > > Any idea what is going on?
> > >
> > > I run KDE Platform 4.12 on Kubuntu 13.10.
> >
> > Since this is Kubuntu it could be AppArmor interfering, e.g. not allowing
> > virtuoso to access its files or something.
>
> Then AppArmor would log that too - it usually does at least.

Ok.

> > It is kind of strange though that a user process would log to syslog.
> >
> > Can you check if virtuoso is running as more than one user, maybe as a
> > system daemon?
>
> $ ps aux|grep virtuoso
> tol      15621  0.0  3.2 285344 266420 ?       RNl  00:08   0:00
> /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile /tmp/virtuoso_lY1670.ini +wait

Is that the PID that is then logged in syslog? I.e. is that the virtuoso
crashing sometime later?

> I noticed that Akonadi Nepomuk Feeder was constantly changing between
> Indexing/Ready to index/Waiting for Nepomuk, so I closed down Akonadi
> server and restored my backup of ~/.config/akonadi and
> ~/.local/share/akonadi.
>
> That has saved me before when I had a power outage, and for a short while
> the log was quiet after restarting Akonadi, but now it's back to crashing
> every 10-20 secs.

Akonadi was reporting that Nepomuk became unavailable, so it was working fine.
Restoring it changed nothing regarding the Nepomuk situation. Nepomuk is most
likely also fine, but affected by virtuoso going down.

> Anyway, virtuoso should handle any errors more gracefully, so if there's
> anything I can do to debug it, please let me know.

I have no idea on how virtuoso works, but from the posted commandline I'd say
one thing you could try is to start it manually.

You probably have to make sure no Nepomuk is running so it doesn't try to
start it as well.

Running virtuoso directly might produce some output that gives hints on what
the problem is.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring