virtuoso-t constantly segfaulting

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Sun Jan 26 23:19:13 GMT 2014

On Sunday 26 January 2014 23:48 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday, 2014-01-26, 23:42:12, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > The past week or so I get this every 10-20 seconds in/var/log/syslog:
> >
> > kernel: [168098.800123] virtuoso-t[13981]: segfault at ffffffff ip
> > 0851efbb
> > sp a7143870 error 7 in virtuoso-t[8048000+aa0000]
> >
> > I get several hits when searching for it, but no solution to how to
> > fix it, and it makes the log almost unusable.
> >
> > Any idea what is going on?
> >
> > I run KDE Platform 4.12 on Kubuntu 13.10.
>
> Since this is Kubuntu it could be AppArmor interfering, e.g. not allowing
> virtuoso to access its files or something.

Then AppArmor would log that too - it usually does at least.

> It is kind of strange though that a user process would log to syslog.
>
> Can you check if virtuoso is running as more than one user, maybe as a
> system daemon?

$ ps aux|grep virtuoso
tol      15621  0.0  3.2 285344 266420 ?       RNl  00:08   0:00 /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile /tmp/virtuoso_lY1670.ini +wait

"tol" is my account.

I noticed that Akonadi Nepomuk Feeder was constantly changing between
Indexing/Ready to index/Waiting for Nepomuk, so I closed down Akonadi
server and restored my backup of ~/.config/akonadi and ~/.local/share/akonadi.

That has saved me before when I had a power outage, and for a short while
the log was quiet after restarting Akonadi, but now it's back to crashing
every 10-20 secs.

I'm OK with rebuilding the Nepomuk db, I've been one of the lucky ones with next
to no problems with it for years, I'm just not sure of the correct approach.

Anyway, virtuoso should handle any errors more gracefully, so if there's
anything I can do to debug it, please let me know.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus