System Sounds gone since 4.11.4

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Jan 14 00:26:09 GMT 2014

On Monday, January 13, 2014 06:02:11 PM Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-01-13 14:13 (GMT-0800) Jerome Yuzyk composed:
> > Since KDE 4.11.4 (and now .5) I have lost my System Sounds. Audio works
> > fine in all other ways (videos, streaming music). All sounds that were
> > enabled before are still enabled.
>
> Are you *sure*?
>
> >  Any ideas what to look at?
>
> Are you referring to startup and shutdown sounds? The devs in their
> infinite wisdom have decided they should be off by default. This change
> has caused those of huge numbers of users to change to the new default,
> which because they had not been previously changed from default are
> considered personalizations never made, thus not necessary to be
> preserved when the default changed.

The only sounds I ever notice or care about are the AC plugged/unplugged
tones for my laptop. And in checking to see they are enabled, and testing
them, I hear that they do play, but very quietly even though volume is at
100%. So there's something still going on with System Sounds. Playing the
Test sounds in KMix has normal volume though.