Kontact "unable to create calendar"

huw huw at synapticsilence.net
Fri Feb 28 00:26:35 GMT 2014

I've just installed SolydXK, KDE version, which is based on Debian unstable.
I'm using Kontact 1.13.7 and KDE 4.12.1.  I backed up my previous calendar,
and now I can't import it.  If I try and import it as a new calendar I get
"unable to create calendar ~/icalout.ics".

If I try to merge it with an existing calendar (which as yet has nothing in
it) I get a different error popup which keeps popping up every time I click
OK, and I can do nothing but kill the whole process.

How do I import my calendar?

(I can retrieve the error message later if necessary - if I tried to do it now
I wouldn't be able to send this email)

Many thanks in advance.

Huw