Qt ─ how to use enum as the QMimeData type/format

Marek Kochanowicz sirherrbatka at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 15:43:39 GMT 2014

Dnia poniedziałek, 3 lutego 2014 16:24:08 Kevin Krammer pisze:
> Hello Marek,
>
> First of all, you are probably better of reposting this to the developer
> list: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel
>
> But since I am replying already :)
>
> On Monday, 2014-02-03, 15:16:49, Marek Kochanowicz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have to admit, that I have some problems understanding the QtMetaTypes
> > system. If I clearly misunderstood whole thing, please point this out.
> >
> > I need to create QMimeData subclass to store reference to some object.
> > This
> > object is of the concrete class, but can be of different semantics,
> > depending on the enum member value. Therefore to accept drag I need to set
> > the correct format of the QMimeData, depending on the said member enum
> > value.
>
> Do we talk about an application internal drag&drop operation here?
>
> In such a case the easiest case might be to store an identifier of some sort
> and let the drop recipient use that to do an look up for the actual object.
>
> In either case this is most likely not related to the Qt meta type system at
> all.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

First of: thanks for the answer. I probably should consider going to the KDE-
devel but honestly, I forgot about it. ;-)

Yes, those are inner drag & drops, and are not meant to handled outside of the
application.

The approach you suggested  would work, but I would like to use type in the
QMimeData and properly accept, just because this would provide user visual
feedback (cursor change to no-drop) if the drop will not be accepted.