Qt ─ how to use enum as the QMimeData type/format

Marek Kochanowicz sirherrbatka at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 14:16:49 GMT 2014

Hello,

I have to admit, that I have some problems understanding the QtMetaTypes
system. If I clearly misunderstood whole thing, please point this out.

I need to create QMimeData subclass to store reference to some object. This
object is of the concrete class, but can be of different semantics, depending
on the enum member value. Therefore to accept drag I need to set the correct
format of the QMimeData, depending on the said member enum value.

However, I don't know how I need to register those types to use with
QMimeData. I guess I can't simply convert enum to string (yes, I have method
in the class to do that) and create new format in the QMimeData during
initialization based on that string.

What is the proper way to deal with this issue?