Sound problems again...

O.Sinclair sinclair at orionweb.info
Fri Aug 15 10:42:54 BST 2014

On Friday 15 August 2014 9:10:08 AM Duncan wrote:
> Jogchum Reitsma posted on Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:59:32 +0200 as excerpted:
> > Problem solved.
> >
> > I came across
> > "https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/499971-Can-t-configure->
> sound-card",
>
> > where was suggested to throw away /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf, and let
> > Yast configure the soundcard again. For that problem it didn'nt help (it
> > appeared to be a hardware problem after all), but in my case it solved
> > the problem. While the old and new /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf are
> > exactly the same.
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> Being on gentoo of course I build my own kernels and I've been running
> monolithic kernels configured with all the drivers I need built-in for
> many years now, so any solution involving dumping a modprobe config to
> let the distro-specific tool reconfigure it would have been relatively
> unlikely to occur to me.
>
> Which makes it all the more valuable that you posted the fix report, as
> now I have a possible fix I'd be relatively unlikely to consider on my
> own, on my list to suggest that other try when they have similar issues.
> =:^)

If the problem seems to be related to PulseAudio you can try by installing the
Veromix widget that at least for me works way better than KMix does.

https://code.google.com/p/veromix-plasmoid/

kind regards,
Sinclair
using Kubuntu 14.04 with KDE 4.13.3, have used Veromix instead of KMix over
the last 2 years or so