K-Menu - High-lighting a bit too subtle

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Mon Aug 11 20:54:23 BST 2014

On 11/08/14 13:27, Duncan wrote:
> Bogus Zaba posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:29:08 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> It was Kickoff I was talking about, so your advice (above) on this was
>> relevant. The only problem is that although changing the theme
>> (including changing it just for "Kickoff" using the details tab),
>> changes various aspects of the display, the one thing that remains
>> constant for all themes I have tried is the method of highlighting the
>> items under the cursor. This is done by drawing two light grey lines
>> above and below the item to be highlighted (on a white background).
> OK, now that I know it's kickoff you're looking at, I actually did some
> experimenting, and found out that it's actually only the kickoff frame
> that's affected by the plasma/workspace theme.
>
> The good news is that I found out what to change to change the kickoff
> menu highlighting.  The bad news is that changing that changes some other
> things too, and at least here, some of those things I want light and some
> dark, which makes for a challenge, to say the least.
>
> The setting is actually in kde's main colors, found in kde system
> settings, common appearance and behavior, application appearance.
>
> Once there, I *STRONGLY* recommend reading the help text (also available,
> if installed, in khelpcenter, system settings modules, colors), because
> there's a two-dimensional color organization, sets vs roles, that
> definitely takes some reading and then a bit of experimentation to get
> the hang of, but without that reading, the stuff that changes with each
> config change will seem almost random and the result will be VERY quick
> frustration!

I certainly see what you mean - having read through the help a couple of
times I think I understand
it very slightly better than before... Not sure if I could explain it to
anybody else though.

> Once you've read the help text and at least have an idea of what color
> sets and roles are all about, then it's time to try to change this,
> without making something else too horribly wrong.
>
> First, if you've changed anything else from whatever color scheme you
> started with, you should probably save your changes to a new scheme that
> you can always reset to if you don't like how the changes ended up.  If
> not, first just make sure you know what scheme you're on so again you can
> reset back to it.  With that done...
>
> Switch to the colors tab.
>
> There are two ways to set the particular setting we're after.  It's
> available as either common colors, selection background, or selection
> set, normal background.
>
> The kickoff menu background, meanwhile, is available as common colors,
> view background, or as view set, normal background.

So yes, I can make some changes here and, as you suggest, if you make
sure that the
side-effects are not too drastic those changes could even be described
as improvements.
Played only with the desktop PC so far and the one on which they problem
was most
annoying was the laptop so I will move onto that tomorrow.

> So you have a selection set, normal background, set off on a view set,
> normal background.  Change either one to contrast with the other, hit
> apply, and you should immediately see the effect on the kickoff menu.
>
> The problem is everything else that's affected as well.  Major parts of
> most windows will be view background, so changing it changes a lot.
> Selection background should be a bit easier to change since it's only
> used in the less common selection context, but be sure to select some
> text in some window somewhere (the khelpcenter window is a good place, if
> you still have it open) and be sure the effect isn't worse than the one
> you're fixing in kickoff.

Many thanks for your help on this. Doubt if I would have got there by
clicking away at the
System Settings menus.

btw How come you've stopped providing your standard paragraph which we
all came to enjoy
over several years about "System Settings" being the wrong name for that
KDE module??

Thanks again

bogzab

--