All KNotes gone

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Wed Aug 6 22:27:29 BST 2014

Duncan wrote:

> Alex Schuster posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014 01:17:12 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > Some while ago already, KDE killed all my knotes. I think it was when
> > 4.13.0 came out, and some migrator tried to migrate the existing
> > notes. Well, it failed here. Now, I really want to have them back.
[...]
> > BTW: About every time I experience some trouble with KDE, I make a
> > note about this using knotes. And this happens a lot. So it was only
> > a matter of time until I ran into a problem with KDE which made it
> > impossible to log this notes any more in this way, because my logging
> > utility itself was broken.
>
> FWIW, I decided some time ago (early 4.7 era, when kmail ate one too
> many emails and I asked myself /why/ I was putting up with it, email
> is /not/ rocket science any more, it's decades old technology
> that /should/ "just work) that akonadi was bad news, and got as far
> away from it as possible, switching anything kdepim related to other
> alternatives (claws-mail for mail and feeds, that's about all the
> kdepim I used).

I also dropped KMail. I had way too many different issues, and it once
deleted a lot of e-mails. I'm also using Claws now, but I miss KMail.
Claws does not multi-task so well, it's not responsible when it fetches
mails. I have several e-mail accounts, one with > 100 sub-folders, so
checking takes a while. Thunderbird does this better. And also KMail. All
this Akonadi stuff still sounds like a good idea. But not if it breaks
things so often. For me it was a lot of trouble. And now I have neither
my addresses nor my notes. Oh, my calendar is also gone. And the To Dos.
Wow, except for KNode (sucks, too) and Akregator (has bugs, too, unusable
for me) nothing in Kontact works any more. And I really likes Kontact
once.

> I'm convinced that was the right decision. =:^)

I'm not sure. If it would work again, I'd like it. KNotes is nice.

> As for notes, I'm of the rather strong opinion that the stablest and
> most reliable solution is a simple plain-text-file-based system,
> organized into a subdir hierarchy if you have a bunch of them, possibly
> with symlinks from other subdirs for multi-categories and tagging if
> desired, backed up periodically as value-appropriate.  That's
> unaffected by whatever text editor aka notes-client you happen to be
> using ATM and readable by all sorts of stuff including browsers,
> cat/less/more/most, and given a not too complex block device and
> filesystem stack, even straight from grub2 without booting further,
> should it be necessary.  And when you can't get into X or even mc,
> grep's a great basic search and easily scriptable. =:^)  Higher
> availability and cross-client compatibility than that is tough to get
> in the computer world! =:^)

Well, yes. But I like have them open on my desktop easily, and I use rich
text formatting. Did not think that this is too complicated already.
Of course, I also had trouble in the past with KNotes, like display
corruption, things only showing up when highlighting, and content
bouncing up and down when entering and leaving the window with the mouse.

> In terms of cleaning up the current mess, starting with a clean ~/.kde4
> may indeed help, but do keep in mind that the kde5 upgrade is just
> around the corner, probably later this year or sometime next, depending
> on how early you want to try it[1], and you'll probably be doing
> something similar for it, too.

Ouch. I am worried about that, and want to avoid it as long as I can.
Well, I would try it though. But the switch to KDE4 taught me a lesson.
I'm repeating myself, but to me it still looks like beta, with small
glitches everywhere. Or bigger ones, like in $SUBJECT.

BTW, I tried with a clean .kde4 directory. I just cannot import the
KNotes. And I also get errors in the Akonadi log, about database tables
not being available. Guess I'll head over to the kde-pim list.

	Wonko