KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 29 18:36:06 GMT 2013

Frank Steinmetzger posted on Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:58:33 +0100 as excerpted:

> I believe I read somewhere that 4.11 was to be the last 4.x release.

AFAIK that's not quite accurate, tho (like most error that propagates
well) it has a grain of truth at its core, just distorted and twisted
beyond that truth.

The bit of truth being that 4.11 (or more precisely 4.11.0, since the 4.x
micro-series have always been bugfix-only stable series) was the last
feature release for *SOME* kde4 packages -- they're going into
maintenance mode now, with further features implemented only in the
frameworks-five version.

Kdelibs has actually been feature-frozen for some time now, it was listed
as feature-frozen in the 4.10 feature plan, tho 4.9 had some feature
changes.  But with 4.11 plasma announced as feature-frozen for kde4
(changes for 4.11, none for 4.12), and I believe a few other apps are
similarly feature frozen for kde4 now too.

But a 4.12 series is already planned and a release schedule and feature
plan is in fact already publicly available on techbase:

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules

(That's my bookmarked link I've been referring to for several release
cycles now. As they say, stay tuned! =:^)

As you'll note from the 4.12 feature plan, not all kde4 packages are even
feature-frozen, tho in comparing that to earlier versions, it's already
evident that the list is significantly shorter than it was in earlier
versions, reflecting the freeze in some areas.

And actually, it appears 4.12 feature freeze is tomorrow (Oct. 30), with
beta1 tagging/release a week later on November 6.  And 4.12.0 should
continue the semi-yearly feature-release schedule with release due in mid-
January, 2014 (Tuesday, Jan 14, actually, tho as we know, software
release schedules do occasionally slip a bit), with the last scheduled
4.12 series release being 4.12.5, scheduled for the end of April, 2014.

I've actually seen talk of a 4.13 beyond that as well, and I /think/ it's
reasonably likely there will either be a 4.13 or at least 4.12 releases
scheduled beyond the 4.12.5 that's currently the last scheduled release,
but AFAIK that's still up in the air and will likely depend on how kde
frameworks five, which is preliminarily scheduled for initial release in
1H-2014 as well, is coming by then.

So short of "World War III" or "the rapture" or something similarly earth
shattering, 4.12 appears to be a given, at this point.  It's just not
going to be as big a release, feature-wise, as earlier releases, because
they're focusing on 4.x stability and 5.x development, at this point.
But there are still SOME feature enhancements coming, just not as many.