KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 29 15:56:50 GMT 2013

Michael posted on Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:14:40 +0100 as excerpted:

> Am Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:10:16 +0530 schrieb dE <de.techno at gmail.com>:
>
>> I think KDE is not suitable for production environment. Just for casual
>> enthusiasts.
>
> I guess that view is a bit too extreme, but interesting nevertheless. As
> annoying as the "typical" KDE-issues might be or get, there will be a
> point where users know the issues and can adapt to the "buggy"
> situation, so that KDE is not a general "show stopper" to their
> workflow.

I think it's extreme at one level, but not at another.

I already stated that I think kde 4.5 (and will further specify here
later 4.5, so 4.5.4 and 4.5.5) finally reached "release quality".  Since
then, the quality has gone up and down a bit, but as a general rule, by
4.x.4 or so it tends to be reasonably good, "production environment"
level, for at least some definition thereof.

What's more disturbing to me, however, and why I agree that at a
different level, dE's correct and kde is not production environment
quality, is the longer term record of claims made vs. reality.  We have a
situation where a very public statement was made that kde3 support would
continue as long as there were users, which WOULD have been production
environment quality, but then exactly the opposite occurred, support was
dropped for what real users were saying was the only reasonably working
version.  At the same time, kde was publicly insisting that the new
version was ready, while the facts were very clearly otherwise, both
because even the devs were saying various bits weren't ported yet, and
because the real users were simply finding the new version unworkable in
the state it was in at the time.

That's not production environment quality by pretty much any measure, so
even if the code does arguably literally reach production environment
quality at some point (as I assert it did with late 4.5), taking the
project as a whole including the claims made and evident behavior seen,
no, kde in its 4.x state is NOT production environment quality -- it
cannot be depended on over time to maintain a product that can be relied
upon at claimed level of support, because the quality of the in-support
code drops *WELL* below production environment quality for **YEARS** at a
time, with users being left in the lurch.

It remains to be seen if that has changed.  With the 5/frameworks effort
in full swing now, we'll see over the coming couple years just how much
kde learned with the early kde4 disaster.  If they continue to support
kde4 code until *USERS* say 5/frameworks is actually ready, or at a very
minimum, refrain from claiming that they'll do so and then dropping
support just like that, then when USERS say 5/frameworks code is
"production environment" ready, a reasonable argument can then be made
that kde has learned from its earlier mistakes and really /is/ production
environment ready, even if literal code quality does drop below that
level from time to time.

I'm actually quite optimistic, as the plan I've seen stated is to allow
and support both 4.x and 5.x applications running side by side for a
time, so users can upgrade individual apps to their frameworks-5 versions
as /users/ consider them ready, while continuing to run other apps at the
4.x version level until they (the users) consider the frameworks-5
versions suitably stable to upgrade to them individually.

This actually fits the whole more modular emphasis and theme of
frameworks-5 as well, so as I said I'm optimistic.  OTOH, the more
cautious side of me says we've seen promises of continued support before,
and we know how THAT turned out!

So we'll see, but I really AM optimistic, hopefully not to my own
detriment.  Regardless, once bitten, twice shy, and I'm better prepared
for a less-than-smooth transition this time, in part because over time
I've been forced off of kde based technologies for one thing after
another, so there's less kde on my system now TO be affected and the
effect will thus be much more limited however it turns out, and if worse
does come to worse, it'll be far easier to switch entirely off of kde,
since there's simply less to switch out, now.

We /will/ see!

>> As of your problems -- if you continue to use KDE, you'll get used to
>> it. For e.g. now removable disks will now show up in device manager.
>> I've to restart KDE to fix it.
>
> Used to it? That is most unlikely. I could tolerate such issues for some
> time but I guess I could never "adapt" to a point where I would not even
> realize the issues anymore.

Arguably, this is actually what happened to the kde devs themselves --
they became used to their workarounds to the point they ceased to even be
aware of them as workarounds any longer, thus explaining their claim that
kde 4.2 was ready for ordinary use.  Only the new users still trying to
upgrade from the by then unsupported 3.5.x could see how horribly broken
4.2 and 4.3 still were, because they still had to come up with their own
workarounds, and weren't yet so used to them that they ceased to see them
as workarounds but considered them normal practice, as the kde devs
evidently did.

And in perfect honesty, I have to wonder if that's what happened to me by
4.5 as well, thus my considering /it/ to be finally release ready -- what
should have been 4.0.  I have only the dual supporting facts of all the
protest more or less dying down by then, and my own personal knowledge of
specific "deal breaker" bugs being fixed by then, to say otherwise, and
in all honesty, I do still wonder sometimes if they're enough, or if I
too was simply deluded due to familiarity with workarounds that had
become so routine they ceased to appear to me as workarounds.