KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Michael michael.the.optimist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 14:14:40 GMT 2013

Am Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:10:16 +0530
schrieb dE <de.techno at gmail.com>:

> I think KDE is not suitable for production environment. Just for
> casual enthusiasts.

I guess that view is a bit too extreme, but interesting nevertheless.
As annoying as the "typical" KDE-issues might be or get, there will be
a point where users know the issues and can adapt to the "buggy"
situation, so that KDE is not a general "show stopper" to their
workflow. For example with the KSysGuard-thing mentioned earlier, one
just has to restart KSysGuard to get a reliable depiction what
processes currently run or simply not use it at all.

> As of your problems -- if you continue to use KDE, you'll get used to
> it. For e.g. now removable disks will now show up in device manager.
> I've to restart KDE to fix it.

Used to it? That is most unlikely. I could tolerate such issues for
some time but I guess I could never "adapt" to a point where I would
not even realize the issues anymore.

> I think the most stable release of KDE is at best beta.

Do you think the KDE developers are happy with that "state"? And "beta"
implies "bugfixing follows". If bugs don't get addressed, they could
dump the code as public domain and be done with it. So I really hope
the situation is just at a very bad point but it will get better, even
if it takes years, I am in no hurry. :)

optimistic regards
Michael