Bizarre window snap at screen borders

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Oct 24 10:27:08 BST 2013

Roberto Ragusa posted on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:53:04 +0200 as excerpted:

> On 10/23/2013 09:23 PM, Wes Hardin wrote:
>> It is an intended behavior.  It was introduced (with many bugs) in 4.11
>> and refined gradually over the past two releases.  I understand the
>> developer's reasoning, but it has no benefit in my (and apparently
>> others') workflow.  I have had lengthy dicussions with the KDE
>> developers about at least making it optional.  They have refused.
>
> Unbelievable.
> I do not mind crazy defaults as far as I can revert to what I consider
> saner, but this one is not even configurable.
> Inconsistent and ugly.

FWIW, I believe it /was/ configurable at one point.  I remember an option
in kde settings... something about "maximized windows can be resized",
with a checkbox, IIRC.  And I set that and all was fine... until a kde
update apparently removed that functionality and dragging the edge of a
maximized window "broke".  I thought the setting had just got reset and
spent quite some time turning kde settings upside down and inside out,
attempting to shake out that configuration option again, but I finally
decided the option must have been removed.  This thread now confirms it.

Note that I run either latest series live-branch (currently 4.11-branch),
or during the betas when lastest stable is basically done but they've not
branched off the new branch yet, master/HEAD (well, thru early 4.11, now
the various kde projects are splitting off a 4.x branch and master is qt5
based kde5/frameworks, but I'll be sticking with the 4.x branch for
awhile I think).

And I update every week or so, thus far more often than the monthly
releases (semi-monthly during the beta/rc pre-releases).

So I can't easily say what specific version the config option appeared
in, and where it disappeared, without spending some time looking that all
up.  It may have actually been the betas that had the config option, with
it being removed by 4.11.0 release, I'm not sure.  But the config options
was there for awhile as I remember it.  And I too find the now hard-coded
behavior annoying.

Tho as I believe I said in an earlier reply, now that I figured out what
happened, it's reasonably easy to use the modifierkey-mousebutton drag
method, to click /inside/ a window and resize it.  /That/ still works for
these windows, fortunately!  And it's not even much more trouble.  But it
*DOES* require breaking the old edge-drag habit and training myself in
with the new modifier-key-drag habit, and that's certainly annoying!

Without that workaround, there's a fair chance I'd be motivated enough to
trace down the commit that killed that functionality and revert it,
setting up a patch to be (scripted-auto-)applied when I rebuild kwin or
whatever.  Since I'm on gentoo and already building from source using
ebuild scripts, that's a simple matter of dropping the patch in the
appropriate dir so it's automatically applied when I rebuild the
package.  However, given that I have the modifier-drag workaround, my
frustration hasn't risen to the level of triggering the search for that
individual commit.