Hi

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Oct 21 12:42:55 BST 2013

westlake posted on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:42:53 -0400 as excerpted:

> Option "AccelerationProfile" "2" has been set which GNOME honors this
> setting, while verifying with the user logon, but kde doesn't.
>
> The communication between Debian KDE package maintainers and bug
> reporters, is for us to come to bugs.kde.org.  As I said I checked if
> anyone reported the symptom of changing Accel profiles being
> problematic.(but it was merely for checking out viable options as I'm
> not sure if it's a intrusively a bug on KDE's part)
>
>> At least it did here, when I did that.  Tho as I said I've not actually
>> changed the xinput accel profile, only some of the other accel
>> parameters.  So it's possible it screws up if you run a different accel
>> profile, but if so I'd call that a bug.
>
> I have no idea what you're trying to tell me. Are you saying changing
> 'accel profiles' with the "xinput" command works ?

What I was /trying/ to say was that while I've not found it necessary to
change accel profiles here, kde sees and keeps all the other mouse accel
related settings I've set in xorg.conf.d just fine.

Since I hadn't had reason to try a different accel profile, I didn't know
whether it would work or not, tho in the absence of other information,
given that other settings worked, I would have guessed it would.

But you're now specifically saying it doesn't, and that if you DO try to
set accel profile 2, kde "warps" the mouse to the top-left corner every
five seconds or so.

I'd definitely call that a bug, and were it me, I'd check kde bugzilla
and file it as such, if I couldn't find one already filed that I could CC
myself too and perhaps vote for.

But now that you've described the warp to top-left every five seconds
problem, I know of one further setting that might be involved, that you
can check first.  It's a remote possibility, but maybe, just maybe, your
mouse is interacting with things and somehow triggering this, so it's
worth checking just to be sure.

kde settings, common appearance and behavior, shortcuts and gestures,
global keyboard shortcuts.

Select kwin as the kde component.

Find the "Move Mouse to Focus" ("focus" being the 0,0 coordinate,
generally the top left corner, so "moving to focus" seems to be exactly
the behavior you're seeing!) action, and see if there's a keyboard accel
set for it.

If there's something set, try either deleting that setting, or setting it
to something else.

If there's nothing set, just in case, try setting it to something strange
that you're unlikely to trigger by accident.

Then hit apply and see if that affects your ability to set accel profile
2 without the "warping".  You might try logging out and back in too, just
in case it doesn't activate immediately.

I don't see why that /should/ change the behavior you've described, but
it's what immediately came to mind when you described warping to top-left
and it's worth a shot.  If it /does/ work, somehow setting profile 2 is
triggering repeated activation of whatever keyboard shortcut "move to
focus" was configured with before, thus explaining the behavior you saw
(and why it'd only occur in kde, since those keyboard shortcut settings
are kwin specific), but leaving us with the mystery of what exactly is
triggering that keyboard shortcut every five seconds when you set accel
profile 2, and why!