KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Nov 1 19:12:39 GMT 2013

On Friday, 2013-11-01, 17:31:33, Michael wrote:
> Am Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:58:43 +0100
> schrieb Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org>:

> > There are already quite some applications that have their own pace,
> > e.g. Amarok and Digikam, so this is mostly an option that might be
> > explored by more applicatons in the future.
>
> So it *is* possible with qt4 / kde4 already and not a feature (planned
> or already done) in qt5 / kde5.

There is no technical limitation now, if you mean that.

> To convince other application
> developers to do the same, no idea how qt5 might help help there.

Qt5 or KDE Frameworks 5 doesn't change anything, however the reorganization of
the platform into frameworks constitutes a change in how the libraries will be
handled (as products of their own) which will likely serve as a trigger for
other changes.

> As I guess the most obvious reason for slower paced development is just lack
> of manpower. Any pointers there that qt5 does actually help?

I don't think Qt5 changes anything regarding man power. The KDE Framworks 5
effort might result in an increase of developers spending time on the
frameworks, i.e. applications developers currently not working with KDE based
libraries but rolling their own.

> > The relation to the KDE Frameworks 5 initiative is that are
> > consideration to potentially release frameworks separately or in
> > smaller groups on individual schedules. When the release of
> > dependencies is no longer synchronized, it becomes more unlikely that
> > things built upon them are released in a synchronized fashion.
> >
> > But, as I said in another posting, this is not definit yet.
>
> Uh... even after reading that paragraph several times, I seem to have
> some issues understanding it. O_o So... come again? Or point me to the
> other mail, maybe that will clear things up.

Separate release schedules are something that is discussed but not decided
yet, at least not by all application teams.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring