Spelling style on MLs (was: KDE's rough edges... what are your experiences?)

Michael michael.the.optimist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 16:02:52 GMT 2013

Am Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:40:04 +0100
schrieb Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org>:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Michael
> <michael.the.optimist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:20:15 +0000 (UTC)
> > schrieb Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>:
> >
> >> Michael posted on Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:59:12 +0100 as excerpted:

> Most of the time I simply skip what Duncan writes, as it usually
> doesn't help me personally, but he sure has a great amount of
> knowledge.

No doubts about his knowledge. And I am fine with your level of
tolerance when it comes to his writing style and of course what you do
with it. As I am new on this list, I have no idea how often he answers
your questions or if you even ask here questions. But that you tend to
ignore / skip his mails entirely does tell me a lot about how much you
like his exuberant mails. ;-) Still, that you do NOT complain about it
is your choice. I did just choose differently, that's it.

> If it annoys you, just don't read it? You don't have to.

Well, that does not scale well if I explicitly ask others about their
opinion about a rather controversial subject. It is hard enough to
accept a thread in the lines of "KDE sucks" in your own home-yard, to
simply ignore some of the opinions and answers given would be just rude
and (possibly) detrimental to the whole thing too.

> @Duncan: maybe a (very short) section of tl::dr at the top of your
> mails could be useful for many, instead of burying the essential
> information in the length of the mail.

Hum... it sure looks like you like his mails, you even found time to
think about a possible "solution". Chances are, because you are
annoyed. Even if just a bit.

> While I know my way around in searching and diagonal reading long
> texts, most people will have a hard time trying to extract the
> relevant information, so why not put the important stuff in a 3-liner
> at the top, and keep the rest for those who enjoy reading you?

Well, his texts are not only long, they are *needlessly* long! Sure, one
could accept that another guy goes two steps up, and one step down,
two steps up and one step down while walking stairs. But he could
talk to that guy too and try to convince him of doing just one step at
a time up when walking the stairs. That would be more economical for
the stair-walking guy and the one watching does not go crazy while
watching. He might even opt in to not watch at all at some point. ;-)
Anyway, I don't see any problem others might have understanding his
texts, they are just repetitive and overly detailed. Finding the small
pieces of information one seeks is not hard, it is just needlessly
time-consuming... and thus: annoying.

regards
Michael