Virtually Invisible Panel Clock

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri May 31 13:22:57 BST 2013

Felix Miata posted on Fri, 31 May 2013 04:51:47 -0400 as excerpted:

>> Try to do a right-click on the clock, I have an option "settings for
>> digital clock". Here I can change the color of the font , if the font
>> should have a shadow and in which color.
>
> I'm not interested in fixing it for each and every new user. I want
> idiotic default invisibility avoided somehow, like it used to be, black
> text on whatever light background color, or white text on whatever dark
> background color. I need to find out what's responsible for the insanity
> before I can chose whether and where to file a bug about it.
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/kdemageialowfipanelclock1200-120.png

While I agree filing a bug is appropriate, there's a way to set site
defaults as well, so you don't have to do it per-user, only per site.

With some exceptions there's multiple locations possible for each config
file, the user's location in $KDEHOME (defaulting to $HOME/.kde as
shipped by kde, some distros change that to ~/.kde4), and various system
config locations as listed in $KDEDIRS (note the plural, multiple
locations possible so you can stack your own custom site config on top of
your distro's config and not have to worry about distro package update
overwrites).  The KDEDIRS unset default is often /usr/, as most distros
ship it.

Which means that in many cases, once you find the appropriate file in
~/.kde/share/config/ (or sometimes share/apps instead), with the
appropriate settings set for that user, copy that file to
/usr/share/config/ , and it'll likely work.

One of the exceptions, however, is some of the plasma settings.  If yet
another plasma setting isn't set, some parts of a new user's plasma config
are effectively created dynamically, and you either have to change the
setting that prevents that, or find the scripting that does the dynamic
creation and rewrite it to do it your way.

Without actually trying it, however, I wouldn't know whether the clock
font color settings are part of the dynamic config or part of the config
that simply copying the appropriate file over to a system location takes
care of for everyone (who hasn't already set it themselves).

See the kde sysadmin guide on techbase.kde.org for more:

http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration

In particular:

http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/KDE_Filesystem_Hierarchy

Tho that doesn't cover the plasma exceptions I mentioned.  Try this for
that.  And yes, I see digital clock color and font settings mentioned...

http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/PlasmaDesktopScripting