Yet another failed KDE release?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri May 10 04:32:10 BST 2013

On 05/07/2013 02:40 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I too am finding the reliability of KDE and its apps not what I would like, but
> one thing puzzles me about this complaint, the statement that bug fixing is not
> welcomed...
> On Tuesday, May 07, 2013 02:54:19 AM James Tyrer wrote:
>
>> The KDE development team appears to be interested in something other
>> than producing a stable release.  It really is that simple.  As a
>> result, the release process is not oriented towards producing a stable
>> release.
> I'm not sure if the developers would agree, though most developers would
> rather make new things than fix old ones.  They are supposedly fixing lots of
> bugs with each release; it's just there are so many.

I have to, possibly, correct you here, and this is indicative of the
problem.  Is the tally of bugs fixed or of bugs closed?

Doesn't the existence of so many bugs tend to illustrate my point?

>> I find very useful the dystopian novel: "The Rise of the Meritocracy"
>> which is a critique of the idea of "the meritocracy".  A meritocracy is
>> defined by the search for merit -- but that is dependent on the
>> definition of merit.  I find that I have no merit in the KDE project
>> despite the fact that I went to college and studied EE and computer
>> science.  In the KDE project, you obtain merit be designing a new
>> application.  So, that is the nail that everyone is hitting with their
>> hammer.
> Where do you get the idea that you have "no merit in the KDE project", or that
> someone fixing bugs would be greeted with anything other than enthusiasm?
> Well, it's free software and so there's bound to be some static, but apart
> from that :)

I was bluntly told so by a developer -- that formal education in
software development was not considered.  And also told that I needed to
write an application to obtain merit.

The project desktop doesn't need another application.  It needs
thousands of bugs fixed.  Better yet, it needs Total Quality Management
methods to prevent the buts ever entering the code base -- hacking
replaced with design as a method of writing code.  And, self taught
hackers and beginners mentored in how to write better code.  Writing an
application, will not accomplish these things.

Note that I am one of those that needs some mentoring.  I am a whiz at
writing procedural code.  I have learned the basics of C++ on a micro
(inside a class) basis, but I could use some help learning the fine
points of the macro structure of object oriented code.  Actually, this
is why I find it interesting that I find that people that have learned
C++ seem to know the macro structure but often don't write the small
pieces of procedural code that do the actual work of the program well.

BTW, I still use Thunderbird.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch