Yet another failed KDE release?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed May 8 12:22:00 BST 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-05-08, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 May 2013 05:36 my mailbox was graced by a message from
> Kevin
>
> Krammer who wrote:
> > I doubt Claws or any mail user agent can provide the same functionality
> > of all  KDE [1] software products people are currently using.
> > Might be able to replace KMail, but I have my doubts on whether they
> > would be  able to work as a desktop shell, a document viewer, file
> > manager, browser, calendar, text editor, etc.
> > [1] assuming for a moment that you accidentally used the vendor name to
> > refer  to all software products of said vendor
>
> Well, this is the problem: I am not looking for all the functionalities of
> KDE, just looking for a mail client, to add to the small install on a
> palmtop with limited HD capacity, and thought of KMail which I use daily
> on the desktop.

I was just commenting on the overreach of the statement.
As a vendor with dozens of products, KDE has a lot of offerings people use
while they are not using others.

As I wrote yesterday, statements similar to that often spring from a
fundamental misunderstanding about multi product vendors in the FOSS world or
can lead an unprepared audience into such misunderstandings.
Hence the need to add more context.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring