Yet another failed KDE release?

Mirosław Zalewski miniopl at poczta.onet.pl
Tue May 7 17:38:47 BST 2013

On 07/05/2013 at 18:06, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:

> I thought KDE was short for "K Desktop Environment," a replacement for a
> Unix CDE--Common Desktop Environment?

It is not for over a three years now. KDE is simply KDE and the meaning is
"entire community". Software is called KDE SC, which means KDE *Software
Compilation* - emphasis is put on fact that there are many programs, not just
one.

You can read more about it on:
<http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand>

But yes, KDE (community) has failed to bring this distinction to wider
audience. Hell, I bet that even among long-term KDE community members there
are many people not aware of "official" meaning of KDE and KDE SC.

Of course there are much bigger problems in both KDE and KDE SC, so not
wasting time on trying to teach people differences between two terms is not
necessarily a bad thing.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski