Yet another failed KDE release?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue May 7 17:22:29 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-05-07, Doug wrote:
> On 05/07/2013 11:49 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2013-05-07, dE wrote:
> >> There is no misconception.
> >
> > Yes, there is. Sometimes people don't know that KDE is the name of the
> > software vendor, not of a product and that this vendor has in fact dozens
> > of products.

> /snip/
>
> I thought KDE was short for "K Desktop Environment," a replacement for a
> Unix CDE--Common Desktop Environment?

Yes, initially.

That initiative then attracted a lot of talented people from all kinds of
interest areas, experts and enthusiasts from a wide range of problem domains,
who all started contributing to their software needs as part of a larger
community.

Nowadays the desktop environment product, often also referred to as the
desktop workspace product, is one of many, produced by dedicated group of
individuals who find themselves intrigued by the graphical shell domain :)

> If KDE is a software vendor, what else do they make?

The product range is quite wide, see http://kde.org/applications/
Productivity and Creativity applications, teaching and learning,
entertainment, etc.

Used by users of KDE's workspace products, other vendor's workspaces, free and
proprietary operating systems, some even available on mobile devices (e.g. I
have Kanagram, KHangman and Marble on my Nokia N9 smartphone).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring