Yet another failed KDE release?

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 04:52:02 GMT 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Leon Feng <rainofchaos at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/3/23 dE . <de.techno at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Longer release cycles ensure the thing gets tested on various platforms in
>> various ways, fixing bugs which otherwise developers won't notice.
>>
>> As of the current time, release cycles are too fast; distro devs don't have
>> time to provide betas for official testing, and even if they do, it'll only
>> exist for a few weeks, or maybe a month, so they don't care.
>>
>> The RC1 tags atlest should last 4 or 5 months so it easily enters the
>> official unstable (testing/keyworded/beta etc...) repository so people can
>> test it, and atleast devs should be given enough time to remove regressions
>> without hindering their personal lives and work.
>>
>> There's very less time focused on testing; that should be increased, and
>> there's really no reason to hurry releases, no one complained KDE is empty
>> and featureless, but a lot complain about it's bugs and stability. This
>> should point to something.
>>
>> Sorry:This discussion is getting a bit heavy, I'll take some time to
>> respond.
>
> There is one proven principle in Open source process: "Release early,
> release often".

Ok, now the market share of Linux desktops makes sense.

> The different between Linux world and Windows world is therea are many
> distros to deliver an upstream release software on different time and
> testing coverage. There are users who want new thing. And there are
> users who want stable thing. They fulfill it by chosing different
> distro. We should not block new KDE release from Arch users just
> because Debian stable is still testing and fix bugs.

Arch and Gentoo users always have version control; Arch can tag them
like, KDE-9999-25th march etc... like a rolling release.
Alternatively, KDE can tag it with the next release (4.11 as of now)
and release them on periodic bases for testing.

But for the rest, they need time.

> As a long time gentoo user, though now using Arch, I am a little sad
> that such complain comes from a gentoo user.
>
> Gentoo users are the nearest to the source. Every gentoo system is
> building from source. So in the past, when bugs show up, a gentooer
> will not hesitate to check the source and fix it. Then the fix is send
> upstream so other distro will benifit. The portage is most powerful
> building system to assist this work flow. Does this tradition slowly
> go away along with the shrinking user base?

Here I didn't mean to talk about Gentoo problems; there are problems
in general. Gentoo and Arch are not the end of testing platforms.