Yet another failed KDE release?

Ingo Malchow imalchow at kde.org
Thu Mar 21 15:33:04 GMT 2013

Am Donnerstag, 21. März 2013, 20:47:12 schrieb dE .:
> [...]
> >
> > > it continues these 6 months feature focused release cycles.
> > >
> > > This mailing list is full of rants and complains and the KDE teams
> > > doesnt
> > > give a damn.
> >
> > This is a KDE user support list. By nature you won't find posts like "Hey,
> > plasma is working, can you help me?"...
> > But seriously, complaints are always the loudest. Personally i am running
> > KDE
> > *with* semantic desktop and kdepim, and it works very smooth. Note, this
> > is
> > personal experience in my own workflow and machine. This doesn't reflect
> > any
> > other situation. Do i ever write to such a list about my happyness with
> > it?
> > No. Happy users only rarely write something to mailinglists about thanking
> > the
> > devs.
> > So even if this list is full of complaints, and - let's say - there are
> > around
> > 10 rants per month, nothing else, how does it compare to some million kde
> > users worldwide? not at all. Hope you get the point.
>
> There ain't many bug related complaints about Xfce -- it's a lot more
> stable. I personally hardly found any bugs while using it.
>
> > > Again --
> > >
> > > We DON'T want features pouring at speed of light, we need STABILITY so KDE
> >
> > can
> >
> > > be _used_ by *common* people.
> > >
> > > Increase the release cycles to 2 years, or don't have ANY such time
> > > limiting goals; i.e. wait for the new release to become stable enough,
> >
> > and
> >
> > > provide bug backports for the current stable release.
> > >
> > > Is Novel listening? I wonder how they manage with KDE.
> > >
> > > This mail is for sake of the project, not for MY personal frustrations
> >
> > with
> >
> > > KDE. I deploy Xfce anyway.
> >
> > It pretty much sounds like frustrations. You take your own unstable system
> > for
> > a global issue. Believe me, it is not. Neither do i say, as my system is
> > highly stable every other system is as well.
> > As you said you do report bugs, which is highly appreciated. But like with
> > all
> > bugs, they need to be reproducable, else they are hard to fix. The more
> > useful
> > information the better.
>
> I'd the same issue with Debian testing; also distros wont upgrade to the
> latest 'stable' KDE; they usually wait for the last bug fix release, or
> even skip a whole major release.
>
> Speaking of which KDE maybe an attractive option on Debian stable, cause
> the bugs wont increment (with major versions) there.
>
> You're basically trying to say here, I shouldn't complaint; and this's
> exactly why the project is in such a horrible state. The reason why I'm
> complaining is cause I want the situation to improve -- so does everyone

I am quite fine with complaints, and yes, constructive criticism drives a
project forward. Only that you shouldn't think that when you see bugs everyone
else sees them as well, because...

> The moment you open upgraded the KDE desktop you see bugs.

... i did not see any showstopper bugs after upgrade. It just works.

Ingo Malchow
--
(neverendingo)
KDE Community Working Group, KDE User Working Group