Is it normal that text in the clipboard gets lost?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Jun 6 21:08:02 BST 2013

On Thursday, 2013-06-06, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 06/06/2013 17:17, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> > And I usually want all systray icons to show.  I don't like hiding
> > and guesswork ("hm I wonder what I have running in there").  The
> > real problem here is that KDE doesn't provide the needed
> > functionality itself in its core, but rather needs a program to do
> > it.  This strikes me as a bit kludgy and hackish.
>
> You're entitled to your opinion, but from the early days of Linux, the
> mantra was "do one thing and do it well", which precludes having all
> functionality built into the "core".  The fact that some packages,
> LibreOffice and Kontact being good examples, try to meet the needs of
> people who don't like it that way, doesn't change the basic philosophy.

Klipper is part of the KDE workspace product, so its functionality is part of
the "core" of KDE's workspace experience.
It is optional, e.g. people might want to use a different clipboard manager.

So I think both notions apply here: it is a pretty focused tool and it is part
of the standard KDE experience.

Now, would it be possible to further split the tool? Separate UI from the part
that holds content?

With KDE Plasma workspaces moving into the direction of QtQuick based UI, this
might eventually even be the standard case.

Right now attempting a separation might not be the best way to spend ones
time, but then again nobody is going to stop an intrepid developer from
attempting :)

In any case, there might be clipboard managers around that either do not have
an UI or provide their UI in a way that does not involve being part of the
system tray. xclipboard for example.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring