term config prolem

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jul 22 22:54:27 BST 2013

Gene Heskett posted on Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:29:31 -0400 as excerpted:

> Running Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS, with enough kde pulled in to get kmail
> (which won't even start & no one has ever seen that error) the next
> biggest item stopping me from swapping drives and rebooting to it, is
> the fact that as the #1000 user, I cannot configure the Konsole.  I can,
> no errors are generated when I close the edit window, but my changes are
> not there when I re-open the edit current profile 3 seconds later.
>
> Does anyone have a magic twanger to allow me to configure the Konsole to
> work as I need it?

I'd guess it's file perms somewhere along the line, probably on $KDEHOME/
share/config/konsolerc [1].  Ensure its UID/GID are set correctly and
that it's writable by your user.

Of course I know some of your kmail history from earlier posts, but a bit
after kmail akonadified, when I was jumping thru hoops to retrieve yet
another lost mail due to akonadi, I asked myself why I had to deal with
that, and decided I didn't, so now I don't.  I'm very happy on claws-mail
now.  (And BTW, claws-mail has user-side script extensibility as a
deliberate feature, so I expect you'd get along with it quite well too.
The only downside is that switching can be a pain, but I'm /so/ glad I
did, here.)

----
[1] If the var is unset, $KDEHOME defaults to ~/.kde as shipped by kde,
but some distros change that to ~/.kde4 or something similar.