SUSE/4.10.x konsole stuck on taskbar

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 19 22:10:14 BST 2013

Felix Miata posted on Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:36:58 -0400 as excerpted:

> This has been happening for months on several systems. When session is
> exited with Konsole open at 0,0, on approximately every other session
> start, Konsole opens on taskbar, and can't be restored. Only ways to get
> it back are exit and start session again, or close Konsole from its
> taskbar context menu and start anew. Do others see this?

I haven't seen this particular symptom, but every once in awhile I do get
a misbehaving window (tho I don't believe it's always konsole, maybe it
hasn't been konsole at all, here), that can't be restored.  I don't have
a taskbar configured at all, but while alt-tab will switch to it, the
window doesn't actually appear.

Usually a kwin restart (running kwin --replace is the easiest way) will
fix it, but one time recently that didn't work; neither did hiding and
showing the window using wmctrl at the CLI.  IIRC I had to kill and
restart the app, which was frustrating, as I didn't actually want to shut
down the app at that point, but I couldn't figure out how else to get it
to display.  (When I switched to it with alt-tab, I could get it to take
input, as the alt-tab switcher display would show the results in its big
thumbnail; I just couldn't get it to display normally.)

I'd guess it's the same bug, however, /probably/ with the compositor, as
the window simply won't display even when active and taking input as can
be seen in the alt-tab switching image.  It's definitely frustrating,
I'll agree with you there!