Prompted Restore Session

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 12:44:22 BST 2013

I have it turned off on opensuse 4.6 as the behavior with the number of files on my machine was unacceptable. Not just lockout either. Sort of suggests that the don't use is problematic as well. It can be turned off on 4.10 too but the kmail aspect is left on and changes greyed out. Speed I recently saw a complaint about email import time on the recent releases - fast pass 20min or more was mentioned can't remember. I'm just repeating it. Also the usual mention of bloatware which isn't the problem really.

One thing that struck me was using file indexing on windows in comparison. That went out as an option. I had no choice about using windows at work. Enabled on a reasonably recent machine there was no sign of it being in operation. Working on software so there were plenty of files around. I would always copy my entire hard disc into the new machine. When enabled the 1st thing it did was build the index. Took a while but not objectionably long seconds rather than mins. By my nature I can't help wondering how they do it. Say  I guessed that thinking about journaling might be a clue. Say the index is there but changes are kept separately and written to the main index as a back ground task with due thought to disk cache sizes and flushing and when it's done etc. One thing for sure there were no signs of it being in operation at all. I would very much doubt that they use the same thing for email as the needs are entirely different.  One is only really
 interested in changes to the directory/file trees so they might even just update the index as things are changed. That way all a user might notice is a very marginal increase in disk write times - highly unlikely especially as they are most likely to be causing the change :-) My suggestion initial thought is probably over the top. Actually it's a bit tongue in the cheek mad.

John
-