Prompted Restore Session

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 17:03:13 BST 2013

Interesting Duncan. One thing that has struck me about the changes is that in real terms all they are doing is presenting folders and icons in a different way. Hardly surprising really as "windows" is extremely mature and in many ways difficult to really get away from. Now there will be more changes on the same line and virtualisation. I get the impression that the later is led by more than one core in a processor. Also a buzz word at the moment. Not an area I have looked at much as I am more interested in distributed processing and services. Lots of people are although at the moment they wouldn't see it like that - nas's and home servers etc. There is also a lot of interest in low power processors. Much more flexible than more cores. People are even running good home media servers on them alongside a nas.

In a way I am reminded of the HP going back to the shed advert. KDE attracted a lot of some times semi enterprise use because it could be configured relatively easily to suite what people might want or have to present to users. Linux etc is still used on a number of large networks and that is essentially it's roots and has been for some time now. Some distro's are driven by people with the desire to offer enterprise wide solutions that do compete with windoze. I feel that away from the server it's gone a bit "me too". Maybe kde scripting now works a little bit better than it does on 4.6. Maybe it's still relatively easy to use. I'd guess in many cases it's mainly linux server, samba and windoze pc's now. Windoze have just added NFS to make server migration easier. Also probably doing a lot of work deep down in their code to make the glossy end more suitable for rapid change - bottom end too. Fact is that there is lots of free OS available for windoze now
 but fortunately there pricing policy and there updates put people off and make them look elsewhere. That mostly applies to home users not enterprises.

Ok the idea of what are really multiple desktops that retain what they are doing is a great idea but some aspects of Duncans scenario doesn't ring true to me. As a for instance - laptop owned by the company - plugged into network at work. These days machines like that will have remote support software installed which is also used to check what is on machines from time to time. They are also generally bulk backed up. What's all this junk on here etc. There are also far more machines that are not used "at work". These are the people that test the software. The same ones that get irritated by microsoft.

Out of interest some one tested KDE against Gnome in respect to what appears to be a Kernal bug - machine can lock up given disc access. I have had this one KDE 4.6, find myself typing ahead even with properly raided 10k ultra 320 scsi on a true 64bit motherboard. ;-) Might be 15k actually, probably is. Part cured by moving from 4 to 8gb but still happens from time to time. The test found that Gnome suffered far less than KDE, dedicated KDE user as well and still is. Probably because Gnome has less in the way or is just more efficient.

All leaves me wondering if the basics will ever really get sorted out. :-) Me well I once spent several hours making Gnome more kde like and found I still didn't like it so went back. My 1.6ghz 1gb 32bit Atom netbook runs windows 7. Not too badly either for what it's intended for. Can't stick KDE on that. Others have tried. Gives you an indication where they are at. :-) The damm updates as the battery is near flat and when they choose to do them is driving me up the wall though. The "will update in 15min" offering a cancel was interesting too - canceled and it still did it as it seems they were important. Dropped what I was typing too. Acrobat updates and leaves a view that is totally unsuitable for a netbook and no way to get rid of it. Still reasons for switching to Linux but no doubt they will wise up at some point.

:-) Haven't had a rant for ages. No point really. Bit like the ideas opendesktop org had that didn't get into KDE4. Excellent if some one wants to rejig things themselves.

John
-