change tab switch keystrokes in Konsole, and other stuff?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 06:37:17 GMT 2013

David Melik posted on Sun, 20 Jan 2013 00:10:09 -0800 as excerpted:

> I use Konsole, and I would like to be able to switch tabs the way I
> would on a typical console, such as with alt and a direction rather than
> shift and a direction. This is partly because I want to use MCedit, or
> hopefully SETedit in the future, which are like DOS text editrs that use
> shift and a direction to highlight text. I did not see the option to
> change these keys in the Konsole settings.

Another mc user! =:^)

FWIW, I believe it was kde 4.9 (or was it 4.8?) that introduced a fix to
the mouse in konsole, so mc worked better with it in very tall or wide
windows.  That was a fix I was waiting for and got to appreciate rather
sooner than most, as I hopped on the prereleases from the first beta, two
months before release. =:^)

To your question:  Yes, there's an option for tab-switching hotkey (as
well as the ability to set hotkeys to go directly to any of the first 10
tabs... among other things).  But I think you were looking in the general
konsole settings, while konsole, as pretty much all kde apps, has a
separate dialog for shortcut/hotkey settings.  Look in the settings menu,
configure shortcuts option/dialog.  The entries in question are next tab
and previous tab.  There's also the switch to tab X (where X is 1 to 10)
entries, if you prefer them.

At least there is in kde 4.9.98, aka 4.10-rc3, which is what I'm running
ATM.  You didn't mention your kde version, but I doubt that has changed
recently, very possibly it has been the same since the kde3 era.

> Is there a way for Konsole, or a program in it, to override which
> clipboard it uses? If I am able to use a text editor like this that I
> want, it also uses typical clipboard commands... but I want it
> restricted to its own editor, or to link its clipboard to KDE's, which I
> might do.

konsole, like most kde apps and indeed most X apps, simply uses the
traditional X clipboard and selection resources.  FWIW, mc works with the
gpm (text-console mouse driver) based selection in a text VC, or the x-
based selection in a terminal window such as konsole.  mc also has its
own clipfile based resources, but that is again an entirely separate
resource.

Thus, you actually have three selection/clipboard based resources
available to you when using mc in konsole, the native X clipboard and
selection resources, and mc's own clipfile resource.  You may use all
three separately, or pick the one you prefer, it's up to you.

Meanwhile, while the mc clipfile resources are entirely separate (and
file-based), there's quite a bit of configurability available in kde (and
thus konsole) for the X-based resources.  klipper is the kde-native
clipboard-helper tool, allowing to keep a ring-buffer of N elements, with
N being configurable, and also to either merge (by copying one to the
other) or keep separate the selection and clipboard resources.

In mc, meanwhile (as in several other similar "semigui" apps when run in
a terminal window such as konsole), holding the "shift" key along with
mousing allows you to do traditional X/gpm text selection to the X
selection buffer.  Whether that also hits the X clipboard buffer and/or
activates klipper's own popup actions would then depend on how you have
klipper configured.  Here, I have it configured to activate klipper
popups, but I keep the X clipboard and selection resources separate.
However, if I manually activate klipper and select an entry from its
buffer, that gets copied to both the selection and the clipboard, thus
giving me a way to transfer content between them, should I wish to do so.

I'm not sure all functionality is there if you use the keyboard alone or
not.  I believe from kde's perspective it is, but the X/gpm select/paste
feature is intended to work with a mouse, and I'm not sure if it's
possible to use the keyboard to bypass that or not.  You could still
paste in using the clipboard, but I'm not sure if it's possible to select
in ordered to copy, without the mouse.

Meanwhile, for those sufficiently advanced who would like mc's clipfile
functionality integrated as well, given that it's simply a file, it
should be quite possible to hack up a script that would watch that file
and/or the X clipboard (probably using scripted dbus commands for the
latter), and copy content from one to the other (again using scripted dbus
commands for the X clipboard side) when the watched content changes.  I
expect I could do it were I motivated to, but I prefer having the
separate resources as I often use them in combination, since that gives
me the ability to store and access three separate paste resources at
once, so it's not something I'd be likely to find much use for.