How to set the screen resolution and gamma value?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jan 18 16:14:34 GMT 2013

Volker Wysk posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:00:59 +0100 as excerpted:

> So far so good, but I still can't set the Gamma value for my screen.
> There's seems to be no control in the system settings for that.

There should be a kde settings control for it, under hardware, display
and monitor, gamma, but the package that installs that component should
also install a stand-alone kde executable called kgamma, invokable
directly from krunner.  If it isn't installed, try looking for a kgamma
package.

Do note, however, that it may only apply the settings to one monitor, if
you have a multi-monitor setup.  It appears kgamma isn't randr-aware yet,
and is still using the old xorg screen and xinerama protocol, not randr.
Since both my monitors are the same, I was able to test settings on the
one, but I could only use that to figure out the settings I wanted, and
had to apply them in the xorg.conf.d files in ordered to get a gamma
setting for both monitors.