How to set the screen resolution and gamma value?

Volker Wysk pf3 at volker-wysk.de
Fri Jan 18 16:00:59 GMT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2013, 15:50:44 schrieb Felix Miata:
> On 2013-01-16 15:18 (GMT+0100) Volker Wysk composed:
> > I've updated from KDE 4.4 to KDE 4.8.4, and now I can't set the screen's
> > resolution any longer. There's only one choice: 1920*1440. With this, the
> > screen flickers, especially when the background is bright.
>
> What distro? What Xorg version? What output from 'lspci | grep VGA'? Which
> video driver shows in use in /var/log/Xorg.0.log? Exactly how/where did you
> set it before? Are you saying krandrtray no longer works?

With your help, I've found out that there is a was a free graphics driver
installed for my graphics card, which is an NVidia (lspci | grep VGA). It has
to do with "kernel-module nouveau"... There's also a non-free one, which I've
installed now. This is in the package xserver-xorg-video-nvidia. Now, setting
the resolution works fine. Looks like the free driver is broken.

And, my distro is Debian-testing. The version of my X-Server (package xserver-
xorg) is 1:7.7+1.

So far so good, but I still can't set the Gamma value for my screen. There's
seems to be no control in the system settings for that.

Tnx,
Volker