kmail and kwallet

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Feb 8 16:26:10 GMT 2013

On Friday 08 February 2013 11:24:05 P .NIKOLIC did opine:
Message additions Copyright Friday 08 February 2013 by Gene Heskett

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 06:29:06 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 08 February 2013 06:24:38 phanisvara das did opine:
> > Message additions Copyright Friday 08 February 2013 by Gene Heskett

> > > i'm afraid i don't understand the problem. if you do what i
> > > suggested, kwallet won't pop up anymore at all, since there's no
> > > password to ask from you.
> > >
> > > to do that open the kwallet manager (or whatever it's called),
> > > usually it sits in your taskbar somewhere. right-clicking on the (or
> > > any, if you have more than one) allows you to change the password.
> > > once you set both to "" (blank), there's no botheration anymore.
> > >
> > > as was mentioned in a previous thread some time, the passwords are
> > > still encrypted on disk, but kwallet won't require a password once
> > > your user is logged into KDE.
> >
> > The problem is, there isn't such a beast on this machine.  It is
> > whatever that after starting kmail, pops up and asks for my user pw,
> > when I send the first mail after the start.  It doesn't grab focus so
> > you wind up typing blind until the click once to wake the rf mouse up
> > so you can see the pointer move, find the requester and click once on
> > it.  That is kwallet, but a fairly diligent search fails to find a
> > configurater for it.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Did you tell Kmail to store the passwords as plain text in the config
> files   always worked for me   .
>
> I always turned kwallet  off it was a PITA  i finally gave up on kmail
> and this akonadia  thing    Claws Mail is every bit as good  which is
> where i am now .
>

> Pete .

I have considered claws, but there seems to be no way to import the kmail
message corpus. Thats a show stopper as it goes back over 10 years. Thats
in the 10Gb range here.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Marriage is a great institution -- but I'm not ready for an institution
yet.
		-- Mae West
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...