Getting started

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Dec 22 14:40:23 GMT 2013

On Friday, 2013-12-20, 19:02:06, Duncan wrote:
> Cruceru Calin posted on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:20:43 +0200 as excerpted:
> > I heard from a friend about KDE and since I have knowledge about C++,
> > which is the main used programming language ( from what i heard and read
> > ), I decided to get involved and find out more about KDE.
> >
> > I have already read almost everything from the Getinginvolved website
> > but as it is mentioned at some point, getting started may be pretty
> > hard, so I need assistance.
> >
> > Firstly, I need to know more about what software I need in order to
> > start repairing bugs and working in a KDE environment and then, how
> > exactly I do this. I found the list with the junior-jobs but I cannot
> > find any source code there, so I'm a little bit confused.
>
> I'm not a developer myself, so I had waited for someone else more
> qualified to respond.  But I don't see a response yet (maybe people are
> on Christmas vacation already?), so I'll try to answer what I can.

Myriam forwarded it to kde-devel, which is a better place to get answers for
development related questions. But one of us who read both list should
probably have said so here.

Anyway, thanks a lot Duncan for stepping up and providing really good
information :)

> Software needed?
>
> Obviously gcc and the like for compiling things, plus cmake since that's
> what runs kde's make scripts, and qt4, as a major kde dependency.[1]
> Most of kde now uses git repos for distributed version control, tho there
> are a few bits (mainly artwork and the like, as git works best with
> source files not binaries) still using subversion, so you'll definitely
> need git and possibly subversion, for version control.  Both kde and qt
> have development tools (the kdevelop and qdevelop development
> environments) that can help as well, but AFAIK they're not mandatory.

Right, there is no requirement to use any particular editor or tool set.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring