Getting started

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Dec 20 19:02:06 GMT 2013

Cruceru Calin posted on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:20:43 +0200 as excerpted:

> I heard from a friend about KDE and since I have knowledge about C++,
> which is the main used programming language ( from what i heard and read
> ), I decided to get involved and find out more about KDE.
>
> I have already read almost everything from the Getinginvolved website
> but as it is mentioned at some point, getting started may be pretty
> hard, so I need assistance.
>
> Firstly, I need to know more about what software I need in order to
> start repairing bugs and working in a KDE environment and then, how
> exactly I do this. I found the list with the junior-jobs but I cannot
> find any source code there, so I'm a little bit confused.

I'm not a developer myself, so I had waited for someone else more
qualified to respond.  But I don't see a response yet (maybe people are
on Christmas vacation already?), so I'll try to answer what I can.  And
FWIW, as a longtime gentoo user I'm accustomed to compiling from sources,
and I do run live-git of various things including kde (tho current branch
not trunk/master) and the linux kernel and routinely apply patches, even
creating them at times if things aren't too complex, and I'm involved
both on the more user oriented kde lists and with upstream on a different
project (pan, a gtk-based nntp client, where I'm a regular on the lists
and serve as a kind of go-between between the devs and other users) as
well, so while not a dev, I am a reasonably development-literate user...

Software needed?

Obviously gcc and the like for compiling things, plus cmake since that's
what runs kde's make scripts, and qt4, as a major kde dependency.[1]
Most of kde now uses git repos for distributed version control, tho there
are a few bits (mainly artwork and the like, as git works best with
source files not binaries) still using subversion, so you'll definitely
need git and possibly subversion, for version control.  Both kde and qt
have development tools (the kdevelop and qdevelop development
environments) that can help as well, but AFAIK they're not mandatory.

While you mention the getting involved site, you don't specifically
mention techbase, and since you specifically asked about sources and
there are links to those and build instructions on the techbase site, I
guess you've probably not found it yet.  So...

http://techbase.kde.org

There's really more there than will fit into a post here, so I'll let you
read that first.  After that, you could post any specific questions, tho
I suspect they may quickly get beyond my level and thus my ability to
help.

Also potentially of interest:

http://projects.kde.org

It's also worth mentioning that while kde in general targets the *ix
family (Linux and the BSDs), and while I personally won't install
servantware (in the context of my sig) and thus am not particularly
interested in it, there's also a kde-on-mswindows project, with its own
informational pages:

http://windows.kde.org

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows

Hopefully that at least provides a reasonable starting point.