Introduction + create a custom user profile for KDE 4.10.5

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Sun Aug 18 17:21:30 BST 2013

Le 18/08/2013 15:06, Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> I think in case of Plasma the only viable approach is scripting.
> See [1] and [2]

Thanks for your suggestions. I've spent a couple more hours reading the
Plasma Scripting Documentation and doing lots of trial and error. I have
a partial success now. I could make some things work as expected, but
some not.

Here's what I could figure out so far (correct me if I'm wrong). BTW, on
my Slackware 14.0 system, I deleted everything kde-related under
/etc/skel, just to be on the safe side.

Everything more or less happens under /usr/share/apps. When a new user
is created, the script plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js is run.
This script in its turn loads the layout.js file in
plasma/layout-templates/org.kde.plasma-desktop.defaultPanel/contents. I
played around a bit with these files, and succeeded in changing a few
things, like the default panel size, and not displaying some launcher
buttons I don't need.

Here's what I have so far in layout.js:

var panel = new Panel
if (panelIds.length == 1) {
     // we are the only panel, so set the location for the user
     panel.location = 'bottom'
}

panel.height = screenGeometry(panel.screen).height > 1024 ? 70 : 54
panel.addWidget("launcher")
tasks = panel.addWidget("tasks")
panel.addWidget("systemtray")
panel.addWidget("digital-clock")

tasks.currentConfigGroup = new Array("Launchers")

Here's what I would like to have in my default profile:

1) Add a shutdown dialog button on the bottom right side of the panel,
right next to the clock.

2) Define a default wallpaper (/usr/share/wallpapers/microlinux.jpg).

3) Default the desktop to "Folder View".

4) Add a few quick launchers next to the Kickoff button for Dolphin,
Firefox, Thunderbird and Open Office.

Now I don't know how to translate this in the somehow weird scripting
syntax.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs