KWallet isn't working since the last Upgrade

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Aug 16 08:05:51 BST 2013

maik.stoenner posted on Thu, 15 Aug 2013 20:07:03 +0200 as excerpted:

> since I carried out a full system upgrade (using Arch Linux) on monday
> (it was the first upgrade after almost 4 month), I still have some
> troubles with KDE.
>
> First of all, there was the problem, that I couldn't reach the KDM login
> screen. After 3 days of checking and trying everything I found out, that
> there's something wrong with the /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc. I just
> replaced it by a *.pacnew-file; now KDM is working but all my
> KDM-settings (e.g. themes, ...) are gone. But never mind, I can fix it
> later.
>
> The biggest problem is, that my KWallet isn't working. In KWallet I
> saved passwords for KMail, all my mail accounts and Pidgin. When I just
> startet the computer, KWallet asks me for the password to open the
> wallet. I enter the password (I'm 100% sure that I enter the correct
> password) and nothing happens. Pidgin complains that it can't use the
> wallet, because it's still closed. And KMail just tries to connect to
> the mail servers without any complaining. Also the icon in the tray
> shows a closed wallet. If I try to open the wallet "manually", KWallet
> asks me again for the password, I enter and press "Open", but again
> nothing happens. The windows, which actually should show all the saved
> passwords, remains white and emtpy. The symbol in the tray is still
> showing a closed wallet. So, can anybo
>  dy tell my what could be happend here and how I can fix it? Changing
>  the password isn't possible, too.
>
> And a second little trouble is, that there are no more sounds appearing:
> no system sound when KDM is ready, no system sound when KDE was started
> and no sound when I try to play some music, videos or internet streams.
> I checked the settings for Phonon, but everything seems to be okay.

I haven't used kdm in... probably a decade, preferring a text terminal
login and using startx (with the xsession set to kde), and kdm runs
before login, so is likely a different problem anyway.

The other two problems might be symptoms of the same underlying issue, a
core component that is either not running at all, or more likely, is
crashing.  Were it my system, I'd be investigating kded or dbus, but
there's not really enough info in your post to troubleshoot remotely.

Kded is the kde daemon, the component responsible for handling kde
settings and keeping running apps notified when they change.  Dbus is
inter-process communication, and you will likely have two instances of it
running, one as your user, and a "system" instance, running as
superuser.  It's possible a problem with the system instance was what was
keeping kdm from working, but as I said I'm not particularly familiar
with it so that's a WAG at best.  But lack of a user instance might be
what's fouling up kwallet and sound event notifications.

Here (gentoo system), I have one kded instance running (as my user),
started from kdeinit4 initially, but if I kill and restart, it's run
independently.  When originally started by the kde session, htop lists
the commandline as
kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit] .

Of course when killed and restarted, it's simply kded4.

For dbus, I have one instance (as my user), appearing as two processes
with commands:

/usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startkde

/usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

See if you have similar dbus and kded4 instances running as your user.

I don't actually have a system dbus instance running, but gentoo doesn't
use systemd by default and I'm not running it either.  I believe systemd
requires a system dbus instance, and I believe arch was enveloped by the
systemd gray goo, so I guess you'll have a system dbus instance running
as well.  (Even if not for systemd, however, a system level dbus might be
needed for kdm; again, I'm not sure.)

For kde sound notifications, you should have knotify4 running, and for
kwallet, I believe kwallet is the UI and kwalletd is the backend that
responds to other apps.  (As I switched away from konqueror as a web
browser due to kde devs considering it no more than a toy and not
treating security seriously... for a browser I was using for web banking
(!!), and because I decided my life was CONSIDERABLY less complicated
without semantic-desktop, akonadi, etc, which meant switching away from
anything kdepim related including kmail, I no longer run kwallet here as
nothing actually uses it.  So I can't say for sure what its app name is
as it's actually no longer installed, but I was running it until fairly
recently and thus know a bit about it, for now anyway, until what I know
about it starts going stale with kde5/frameworks.)

So after ensuring dbus and kded were running, I'd check for a knotify4
instance, and if it isn't running, try starting it.  If it is running,
try killing it and restarting.  Similarly kwallet (kwalletd or whatever).

If a simple app restart doesn't help, it's time to do some real
troubleshooting.  Try killing the running instance and restarting from a
konsole shell.  See if that spits out anything useful.

(However, note that most kde apps spit out a LOT of serious looking
warnings and errors even when they're working "correctly", making it far
more difficult to troubleshoot problems as there's all this "noise" that
doesn't indicate a real problem to sort thru.  Knotify4 seems not so bad,
tho it did spit out an apparently harmless "main services discovery
error: no suitable services discovery module" error here, I'd guess
because I don't have kde's optional zeroconf (services discovery)
subsystem installed as it'd be bloat for my usage.)

If knotify4 starts up fine, without any helpful information spitout about
what might be missing, try doing something that would normally trigger a
sound, and see if it triggers anything then (that's when the services
discovery message mentioned above appeared here, the first time I
triggered a sound, but the sound played...)

Of course you can do the same for kwallet(d).