Mouse wheel workspace switching behavior

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Sep 20 17:43:22 BST 2012

Mirko K. posted on Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:49:22 +0200 as excerpted:

> Just curious. I see my above reply in overly long, not wrapped lines. Is
> that me causing that? I don't seem to have that problem with other
> newsgroup or mailing lists.

It's not you/your-client, it's his client doing it, AFAIK.

Your lines looked fine here as originally posted, but as you observed,
unwrapped as he quoted them.

FWIW that's one of the reasons I use a client[1] that can toggle wrap.
It's not perfect, but if a user posts ascii-art or table output that has
to be wrapped as posted to be reasonably readable, I toggle the wrapping
off, so wrapping is as-posted.  If a user posts output with extremely
long lines, I toggle it on, wrapping the lines on my side.

(What's bad is when the two occur in the same post.  Then I have to
toggle it on and off in the same post!  Replying to posts with table data
can also be "interesting" as there's a separate toggle for reply
wrapping, but if I toggle it off in ordered to keep quoted table data
aligned, then I have to manually wrap my own lines.  Or I can just
manually wrap everything.  Like I said, not perfect, but it works.)

---
[1] I read/respond to the mailing lists via gmane.org's list2news
service.  Thus, I use a news client, pan, not a mail client.