krunner: broken font rendering

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 06:37:21 BST 2012

On 17/09/12 02:42, Duncan wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras posted on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 15:49:27 +0300 as excerpted:
>
>> I know what kerning is.  I know about the autohinter and I have it
>> disabled.
>
> But did you try /enabling/ and adjusting?  You said it happened with an
> upgrade.  Maybe the upgrade changed the conditions enough to change the
> config that works best for you.

This is all taken care of by fontconfig (/etc/fonts/local.font).  The
autohinter isn't used, unless specifically forced.  And no, it doesn't
change anything; kerning isn't done by the hinter to begin with.  I can
completely disable hinting and AA, and the kerning will still look broken.

This isn't due to an update, btw. It has always been this way.  But
after many KDE releases having the same problem, I concluded that this
isn't getting fixed either because no one noticed, or this is intended
behavior.