Icon widget lost

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Oct 10 00:50:19 BST 2012

Mirko K. posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2012 00:22:37 +0200 as excerpted:

> On 10.10.2012 00:15, Mirko K. wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 (not Kubuntu) with KDE 4.9 from the Kubuntu
>> PPA. Everything worked fine, Then I played around with some widgets
>> from kde-look.org (but I'm not sure if that's really causing the
>> problem).
>>
>> Anyway, I've lost the "icon widget" (don't remember how it's called
>> exactly). It's just not anymore listed in the list of widgets when I do
>> "Add Widget" in the panel or desktop, so I can't add simple application
>> launchers to the panels (or desktop).
>>
>> Some of the widgets I installed where only available as C++ source and
>> had to be installed system-wide. I guess I overwrote/replaced the
>> original icon widget (or anything like that). But reinstalling the
>> plasma-desktop package didn't help.
>>
>> So, any idea what's wrong, or how to debug this?
>
> Forgot to mention:
>
> That widget is also lost for other users on my machine, as well as with
> the "KDE Plasma Desktop (Abgesicherter Modus)" session. (Abgesicherter
> Modus == "Safe Mode" probably, what's that one for, BTW).
>
> So it's probably not a user config related problem.

Thanks for the "affects other users" addendum.  That's critical
information. =:^)

I'm not sure of the chances of this working especially since it's
affecting all users, but it's definitely worth a shot.  Try running:

kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

If it works, you may well need to do it once as each user.

KDE's SYstem COnfig CAche (sy-co-ca) is the binary cache file for all of
kde's text-based config data.  kbuildsycoca4 can be used to rebuild it.
I believe it normally runs at the start of a user session, but in "fast"
mode, simply trying to detect changes (probably by file modification
times and possibly by hash) since the last start.  During the kde
session, a daemon (kded, kde-daemon) keeps track of the files, updating
ksycoca and notifying running apps when a config changes.

But sometimes something goes wrong and the database/cache gets
corrupted.  kbuildsycoca4's --noincremental option forces a rebuild of
the full database/cache from scratch, eliminating the corruption as long
as the config files themselves aren't triggering it.

But... ksycoca is per-user, so normally it's just one user affected.  But
like I said it's worth a shot.

Beyond that, I'm not sure.  I'm familiar enough with my distro, gentoo,
and the way kde packages work on it, to have a very good chance of
tracking down and fixing the problem, especially locally, but ubuntu,
remotely...