sync KDE specific image metadata with EXIF, IPTC, ...?

Kristian Rink kawazu428 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 20:19:16 GMT 2012

Folks;

even though I learnt before that most KDE applications, including gwenview and
(AFAICT) digikam, store their image metadate, such as keywords, "star"
ratings, comments, ... in a database internal to KDE (which is generally good
in terms of, say, integration with file managers and other KDE apps), yet not
in image format specific metadata structures like EXIF (which is bad because
these information gets lost whenever browsing these images using anything else
than KDE).

Already filed an issue for gwenview talking about this, so that's not the
point here. My question, however: Is there any doable way of syncing KDE
specific image metadata with, say EXIF or IPTC in JPG images (or even just
writing those information stored inside KDE back to the actual image file for
the sake of export / archiving)? Best of course would be a way of doing so by
using any existing app, kipi plugin or the like, but I wouldn't as well
hesitate doing bash / python scripting or something like that to get there.

Ideas or inspirations on that, anyone?
TIA and all the best,
Kristian