Has the KDE Social/Semantic Desktop been worth the hassle to anyone?

Rafa Griman rafagriman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 21:28:59 GMT 2012

Hi :)

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Anne Wilson
<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 17/11/2012 09:16, Rafa Griman wrote:
>> Well Duncan, I agree with you in that there are two types of
>> people, that I _don't_ like the semantic desktop and I'm also a
>> Gentoo user (and Archer). But, IMHO, the devs could have made it
>> possible to deactivate the semantic desktop for those who don't
>> need/like it. I'm saying "could" and not should, IOW: not giving
>> orders, it's just MHO ;)
>
> I think the problem is that you are wrong about this.  I think Akonadi
> has been so deeply coded in that it was not possible to have it
> deactivated and the applications still run.  Having two versions of
> applications to maintain is obviously overload on the developers.

As I said in my previous e-mail: I'm no coder and I know there are
limited resources. That's why I greatly respect the hard work all the
KDE devs have put into KDE in general. I imagine that it's not easy to
have "two versions" due to the lack of developers and time. That's why
I said "could" as in "it would have been nice". But that's all.

> Personally I'd be happier without it - but I much prefer optional
> things.  I like to organise my work as it suits me, so searching in
> that sense has no value to me.  The big dream, though, was to make
> information cross-application (which naturally means cross-platform
> too) for any application that finds the information useful.

I agree, the idea was a good one (specially for non-geeks ;) and
that's what counts. I imgine that as time goes by, things will get
polished (they are very much better now than at the beginning). That's
why I try KMail2 once in a while. The day I don't have any more
issues, I'll switch to it happily. I know the devs will get there :)

> Even that doesn't appeal to me, but looking at the number of facebook
> and twitter users, it probably would appeal to many.

I agree. That's why I think it is a good idea and that maybe if there
was the possibility to activa/deactivate it, there would have been
less hassle and grumbling.

In any case, to all the KDE devs, I think you're doing a great job !!
So big thanks to all of you for your time !!!

   Rafa