Has the KDE Social/Semantic Desktop been worth the hassle to anyone?

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Sat Nov 17 12:54:23 GMT 2012

On Saturday 17 November 2012 10.44:04 Anne Wilson wrote:
> I think the problem is that you are wrong about this.  I think Akonadi
> has been so deeply coded in that it was not possible to have it
> deactivated and the applications still run.

I think this is confusing Akonadi and Nepomuk, actually, which is a common
mistake because the two were pitched together.

Think of Akonadi as the email client protocol stack.

Of course you can disable that, but then the applications that rely on it
don't have the email protocols available. A "if you turn off the light, it is
dark" scenario: "If you uninstall Firefox, you no longer have Firefox."

Nepomuk on the other hand is what provides the semantic desktop and also has
been used by Akonadi for some searches (e.g. address book) and thus when
Nepomuk breaks, it looks like Akonadi is broken. Another reason for the
misunderstanding, FWIW, since the functionality of Nepomuk is exposed through
Akonadi for the user in this case.

In any case: You can disable Nepomuk in the KDE settings (look into "Desktop
Search") and separately tell it to index files or email.

Is that a sane default setting? Probably not, because people who do not want
such features are typically savvy enough to turn them off, while the opposite
is usually not true.

And then there isn't just "two kinds of people". There is billions.

I know people who consider KDE in toto a waste of resource, because all they
ever do is fire up emacs. Some people also don't use email clients, but copy
their mbox file through ssh. And I am old enough to know people who considered
compilers a waste of space and totally unnecessary because they wrote machine
code as hex numbers directly.

So if you don't like it, don't use it.

Personally I have also suffered from Nepomuk, in particular, and only recently
started having "wow, this is actually useful" experiences.

Which is why I understand people questioning its usefulness.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve <greve at fsfeurope.org>