Cute, you don't like my message, so I'm bounced as not subscribed

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Nov 15 21:32:02 GMT 2012

Gene Heskett posted on Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:50:23 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Thursday 15 November 2012 15:46:11 Duncan did opine:
>
>> Anne Wilson posted on Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:59:19 +0000 as excerpted:
>> > Besides, the fact that others can see the messages he says are
>> > missing suggests that it has nothing to do with the servers.
>>
>> He says he re-sent.  I only see the one copy.  So I'm guessing the
>> first copy did simply disappear into the aether, and it's the re-send
>> we are seeing.
>>
> Yes, I verified the headers were correct, and re-sent from my sent-mail
> folder.  That message then did not bounce, and was received by all
> AFAIK.
>
>> Of course where in the aether it went is open to question.  My theory
>> assumes it actually got to the listserv and it dropped the first post.
>> But without access to the listserv logs (assuming it logs such drops),
>> we don't know.

Just a followup.  I had forgotten that you actually got a bounce from the
listserv and the above assumed the message simply disappeared.  But
another reply reminded me that you got a bounce, which means the listserv
saw the message or it couldn't have bounced it saying you needed to be
subscribed.

And if you reset directly from the outbox, without changing the from, and
it showed up, that means that you obviously ARE subscribed, and the
listserv apparently simply "forgot" that, for the first message.

But computers aren't supposed to "forget" such things, and then remember
them again, as it did with the second.

Which leaves a very limited set of possibilities.  The only two I know of
that make sense at all, are that the database was temporarily unavailable
the first time (maybe taken offline for a backup), then brought back into
service, but the listserv itself wasn't taken out of service so it
thought saw the missing database as an unsubscribed address (but if so,
why haven't Anne or I seen similar issues?), OR... my original theory,
that the listserv deactivates subscriber addresses after a period of
inactivity, as a spam control measure or the like.

Maybe there's other explanations, but they have to account for the
message actually getting to the listserv to generate a "must be
subscribed" bounce the first time, AND the same message using the same
address getting thru, the second time.

Oh, just thought of one more possibility.  Maybe there were listserv
hardware problems, and a normally "open" list was restored as
"subscription required", then fairly quickly set back to open, and Gene's
first post happened to hit during the "subscription required" time.  If
his subscription had gotten lost somewhere over time (or a different
address was subscribed), but mine and anne's hadn't, we'd have never
noticed a thing.  And if it's normally an open list, temporarily set to
subscription only due to a restore or some such, that would explain the
temporary error gene got the first time.

But that still doesn't explain this happening once every few months,
unless Gene's simply unlucky enough to hit a regular maintenance window
once every few months.  But maybe it's different problems...

But as long as it's working now... <rhetorically cross fingers>