Cute, you don't like my message, so I'm bounced as not subscribed

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Nov 15 10:42:33 GMT 2012

On Thursday 15 November 2012 05:06:47 Anne Wilson did opine:

> On 15/11/2012 01:43, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 November 2012 20:13:20 Duncan did opine:
> >
> > Sending address, the one the messege comes from can vary, IF I
> > select the alternate gmail account.  I have it hard coded in the
> > kmail prefs, and only if including someone in a Cc: do I ever type
> > in their address.
>
> The only time I see bounces is when I accidentally post with a wrong
> address.  Some lists drop those messages, so if my message doesn't
> appear on-list after an hour or so I check which ID was attached to
> the message.

I do that too.  The bounced message was correctly From: labeled when it
left here.

> > However when it became obvious that the gmail as a sending server
> > did 2 things I don't like, 1st, the echo back to me from the server
> > is a dup according to gmail and deleted, so I wind up sending 2
> > maybe 3 times before someone gets tired of it and chimes in that
> > they saw all 3 msgs.  So I look like a spoilt brat, not something I
> > want to be known as even if I am an only child. :)
>
> I deal with this by setting my folders to include send as well as
> receive mail.

I have considered that, but haven't done it. I want the echo from the
server as proof it was posted and the rest of the planet should have seen
it.  FWIW, for this list, the return time can be hours, same for the
kubuntu-users server.  Both give the impression they need both more iron
and more storage in order to keep up with the traffic.

> For private mail, people probably like GMail's setting,
> but for lists a work-around is needed.

[...]

> This I can't understand.  I now send and receive all my mail through
> GMail (they collect from my other addresses).  Their spam filter
> catches hundreds every day and I get perhaps 4-5 a week getting
> through.  I do not need any of the dance you describe, despite being
> subscribed to very many lists.

Well, to claim that qmail has a great spam filter would be trying to give
credit where none is due, and that is the software running the server at
this 'ISP', which itself is a missnomer because it actually a tv stations
internal email server, with a very large pipe to the backbone because we
also move programs for 4 'channels' of over the air transmitters through
it.  The internet long ago replaced the 'bicycle' where we bussed those
program around to the different tv stations on 2" quadruplex tape, then to
satellite, and now except for the major networks up on the 'birds', most of
the syndicated stuff actually moves over the net as video files.

And despite being retired from there for a decade and change, I was at the
annual Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, and will have an account there until
I fall over for the last time.  I helped Jim set that up in '98 or '99.
The iron under it has been updated  2 or 3 times, so my traffic is far less
than .1% of its capacity these days.  And of course security patches have
been applied.  The only time it was ever hacked was when it was running on
RH-6.0 with its duff bind, in '00 or '01. Jim and I cleaned that mess up by
rebooting, and locking that guy out, putting in the fixed bind, and we
cleaned up his mess without ever doing another reboot.

> It's really hard for us to guess why your setup gets problems that
> ours don't.
>
> Anne

I am inclined to favor the idea that the server has a little known timeout
and that if I do not post for an extended period, its sort of checking to
see if I'm a bot or whatever.  It makes as much sense as anything else
offered.  The time between posts is because 99% of the problems I see go by
are problems I have never encountered, so I'd likely be more of a
hindrance.

Good to hear from you Ann.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It isn't easy being a Friday kind of person in a Monday kind of world.