Cute, you don't like my message, so I'm bounced as not subscribed

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Nov 15 01:43:49 GMT 2012

On Wednesday 14 November 2012 20:13:20 Duncan did opine:

> Gene Heskett posted on Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:28:18 -0500 as excerpted:
>
> [ On the listserv rejecting a message from his years subscribed address,
> then taking others. ]
>
> > Once I could understand Anne, but we go thru this dog & pony show at
> > about 6 month intervals, and have been for years, which from my
> > viewpoint, does get old.
>
> I wonder if there's a timeout configured somewhere, such that people
> that don't post for say three months get dropped to "inactive", such
> that the first message when trying to post again doesn't go thru.
>
> People like me and presumably Anne, post to one kde list or another
> often enough we'd never see the problem, but you (Gene) seems to go
> several months between posts, then posts when something comes up.  Your
> inactive period between problems might be just long enough to trigger
> such a timeout, if it exists. =:^\
>
> I don't know, but it might explain...  Of course the other possibility
> (normally the most likely if a user types in the address manually and
> typoes or has several addresses and tries the wrong one) is posting from
> a different (unsubscribed) address part of the time, but that's
> something only you and possibly the list admin (if it logs rejections)
> could verify.

Sending address, the one the messege comes from can vary, IF I select the
alternate gmail account.  I have it hard coded in the kmail prefs, and only
if including someone in a Cc: do I ever type in their address.  However
when it became obvious that the gmail as a sending server did 2 things I
don't like, 1st, the echo back to me from the server is a dup according to
gmail and deleted, so I wind up sending 2 maybe 3 times before someone gets
tired of it and chimes in that they saw all 3 msgs.  So I look like a
spoilt brat, not something I want to be known as even if I am an only
child. :)

And two, it seems every time I post thru gmail I get a blast of spam, 5 to
30 or more messages all in the next 20 minutes, then it peters out and
returns to only 200 or so a day, quite a few of which are deep sixed by
mailfilter, spamassassin & occasionally by clamd.  The survivors of that,
currently range in the 20-25 daily range, are fed to sa-learn spam, and the
worst offenders I might start checking return addresses and tell mailfilter
to nuke them on site.  I currently have several class B addresses blocked,
a growing number of class C's and probably 100 or more class D's all go to
/dev/null long before they get to pester me anymore.

Now if I could just find the commonality between all the Green Coffee Bean
Extract spams I'd be in hog heaven.

But I expect I am a long ways from first in a long line of hogleg
wearing/carrying people who would love to sacrifice the routers they get in
thru.  They would make near perfect targets for practice.  I'd bet small
amounts of cash even...

Your idea of a timeout in the server no one really knows about is as
believable as anything else I can dream up.  Makes perfect sense in fact.

Maybe I should set up a cron job to send a message once a month (because
I'd forget it, sure as hell), sorta like the server sends me, basically
sticking up a hand & waving it violently, proclaiming I am still here,
still sucking air regularly enough to survive?

Nahh, not a Good Thing(TM). :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"She said, `I know you ... you cannot sing'.  I said, `That's nothing,
you should hear me play piano.'"
		-- Morrisey