Social Aggregation of Data

Jacky Alcine jacky.alcine at thesii.org
Thu May 31 20:51:40 BST 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi Jacky,
>
> On Sunday, 2012-05-27, Jacky Alciné wrote:
>> Hello KDE!
>>
>> I've been using KDE for quite some time and I personally really, really
>> love the environment. Everything's nicely tucked together, especially with
>> contact communication and what not. However, I do feel like it's missing
>> some elements. For example, when I browse the Web via rekonq, I noticed
>> that a menu option to share the currently viewed URL appears. By
>> semantics, I figured that it would allow me to pick a service to send this
>> URL to and go about my way.
>>
>> It opened up a composer for KMail. Now, I wasn't totally upset, I was
>> planning on e-mailing the link anyways. But there's links that I'd like to
>> just tweet or share on Facebook (or D*). I figured that something like a
>> social media module of sorts with plug-ins for different platforms (could
>> use KNewStuff to add more services) that could hook into KMainWindow or
>> provide a special UI element that, with a specific medium of data, would
>> redistribute the content in question. For example, if there's a image on
>> my computer that I downloaded from my camera, without having to open
>> Gwenview, I could just right-click the image, select "Share...", pick a
>> service (given that the image is uploaded as well) and watch the job occur
>> in the background.
>>
>> I figured it'd be a cool idea; and I'd consider working on a library with a
>> sample application to test it out. I'm planning on starting tonight (after
>> work) so I could [hopefully, with school] have something before Friday. I
>> wanted to get the opinion of KDE users themselves.
>>
>> Ideas? Rants? Insults? :D All welcome.
>
> I think the Plasma Active workspace implementation (KDE Plasma workspace for
> tablet devices) has something like that. I think they call it "Share-Like-
> Connect".

Indeed, I think I've run into posts about that on the web as well. I'd
hope to see something like this in more desktop applications, however,
it'd be quite convenient in my opinion as I'd like to share ample
amount of information. It'd also give a social feel to the desktop. It
could be a simple library that's added to an application like
libkshare or what not and it'd extend KApplication (or KMenuBar, I
believe) with the sharing capabilities. In Okular, for example, a user
could not only send the currently viewed document as an attachment, if
they use ownCloud, they could have it be uploaded and referenced to in
a post (quite useful for me for academic purposes and otherwise
sharing data). In rekonq, the possibilities are endless, with the
ability to retweet, reblog and share pages countlessly. Also, rekonq
could show the status of a said page on reddit, Digg, Twitter,
Facebook, etc.

> Now, assuming that said technology will also work on Plasma Desktop Workspace
> (after all that is using the same core technologies), it could be that this is
> more a matter of  adding support for that to desktop applications.

Precisely!

> My suggestion would be to get in contact with the Plasma developers over at
> plasma-devel at kde.org to see if the Share-Like-Connect facility can be reused
> or at least used as a starting point.

I'll do so when I'm off work, thanks Kevin :)

> Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> KDE user support, developer mentoring

Synthetic Intellect Institute
One Vision, One Purpose
Trustee at www.thesii.org