How to setup dual monitor in kde?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 29 00:34:10 BST 2012

bjlockie posted on Mon, 28 May 2012 13:39:53 -0400 as excerpted:

>Duncan posted...
>
>> Turning off semantic-desktop at build-time, no nepomuk, no akonadi
>> (which means no kdepim, I switched mail/contacts and feeds to
>> claws-mail, always used pan for news, and never used the rest of the
>> kdepim stuff), no rasqal or redland, no virtuoso, no mysql, strigi
>> still installed as parts of kde need its headers to build, but without
>> a backend so it's emasculated... turning all that off at build-time and
>> building without it... was the missing magic.  Without it, I can now
>> say kde4's better than kde3!  It's ironic, tho, because all that
>> semantic-desktop stuff was major bullet- point-features of kde4, so to
>> have to build kde4 without it in ordered to finally get a kde4 that not
>> only matches but surpasses kde3 for me, ironic indeed! =:^)
>
> Are there instructions for doing that?

On gentoo?  It's just standard gentoo USE flags, in general.  The two
catches for gentooers are that (1) the semantic-desktop USE flag is an
"=" dependency, meaning that to turn it off anywhere in kde you must turn
it off for everything (that's actually somewhat stricter than the
upstream kde requirements, AFAIK, where if you have it on in say dolphin
you have to have it on in kdelibs, but to have it on in kdelibs doesn't
require it in dolphin), and that (2) because pretty much all of kdepim
requires kdepim-common-libs, kdepim-common-libs in turn requires akonadi
(akonadi-server on gentoo), and akonadi in turn requires USE=semantic-
desktop, in ordered to turn semantic-desktop off on gentoo you pretty
much cannot have anything kdepim (including kmail, akregator,
kaddressbook, knode, korganizer, etc) installed -- you gotta use
something else for them.

Then once you turn off USE=semantic-desktop, an emerge --depclean peels
away a lot of dependencies, and once those are peeled away, other
formerly required USE flags (like rasqual) can be turned off, which in
turn allows emerge --depclean to clean out even more formerly required
packages.

Building from source manually or using non-gentoo scripts?  I know rather
less about this by personal experience as I'm a gentooer, but in general,
gentoo USE flags pretty directly translate to configure script options,
so for each package, when you'd normally run configure, run it with the
--help option first, to see what options are available to be turned on/
off and how (usually either --without-someoption or --nosomeoption), and
choose accordingly.  The gentoo semantic-desktop USE flag corresponds to
a number of configure options, however, depending on the package.  It
toggles nepomuk options in some cases, strigi or soprano options in
others, etc.

If you want specifics, I can actually take a look at the various gentoo
packages that use the flags, and see what options they turn on or off,
and post that.  But I'm not going to bother looking it up until I know
someone's actually going to use the information if I post it.