kde application for users to set printer options?

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Fri May 11 08:42:11 BST 2012

On Tuesday 08 May 2012 16:09:06 John McMonagle wrote:
> We have many printers and people need to set their default printer.
>
> Also we have large multifunction printers that need account codes and a lot
> of other options.
> To make it manageable people set up instances with sets of options for
> various projects.
>
> Using kde  3.5 could do it all in Control Center  with a nice user
> interface. I can't seem to find any way to get the job done in kde 4.4.
>
> The best I can find so far is using xpp.
>
> Is there anything available?
>
> John

It depends on your distro.

KDE provides a version of the Red Hat tool system-config-printer called
(funnily enough) system-config-printer-kde.  This is the same tool used by
most distro's these days but with a KDE gui.  It is maintained by the Kubuntu
guys.  If installed you'll find it in System Settings.

However some distro's ship their own tool, for example openSuse ships their
own Yast tool which is not shown in System Settings, so do not ship the KDE
tool.

http://screenshots.debian.net/package/system-config-printer-kde
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeadmin/system-config-printer-kde/index.html

Another option is KDE Print Manager which is being developed by dantti, but I
don't know if anyone is shipping that yet.

http://dantti.wordpress.com/
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/print-manager

John.