Emacs and KSMServer Question

Noah Lavine noah.b.lavine at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:23:17 BST 2012

Hello,

I'm writing for help with a problem involving Emacs and KSMServer. I
couldn't find a more appropriate mailing list than this, but if
there's a better place to ask, please let me know.

I'm using KDE 3.5.4, with KSMServer 0.4. I recently upgraded from
Emacs 21.4 to Emacs 23.3. When I use Emacs 21, I can open a file in
Emacs, log out, log in again, and have the same file open in Emacs.
When I use Emacs 23, I can open a file, log out, log in again, and get
an Emacs window the same size and shape as my old one, but not with
the old file. I would like to get the same behavior in Emacs 23 that I
had in Emacs 21.

I figured out that KSMServer is the program that manages sessions, but
I couldn't find much documentation for how it works. One thing that
may be important is that Emacs 21 does not implement the XSMP session
management protocol, but Emacs 23 at least claims to. Does KSMServer
have a fallback mode for programs that don't use XSMP? If so, how does
it decide when to use its fallback mode?

I'm happy to help debug this, but I don't know where to start yet.

Thanks,
Noah Lavine